Garden Lighting

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by DIYRich, Apr 23, 2017.

1. DIYRich

DIYRich New Member

I have a newly installed outside socket which I am planning to use for lighting my garden. I would like to know what cable would be suitable for burying below soil level (I have researched and I think it is SWA, correct me if I am wrong) and also what I should use to do the junction at each light along the cable. Is something like the link below suitable?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/ip65-adaptable-box-80-x-80-x-52mm/14556?_requestid=193826

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

This video on SWA by John Ward will help with ref to SWA techniques - the chap is brilliant tbqh

You will need stuffing glands for flex out to lights

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

4. spaceman76

spaceman76 Active Member

Alternatively you could run armoured cable to a 12v transformer, and from there run 12v plug & play lighting; the cabling for the 12v lights is cheaper and no need to make off swa at every light.

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmm thats a good idea Spaceman

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

........However, the volt drop on 12v circuits is much much higher than that of mains cable, so if you run a string of lights from a 12v transformer at one end of the garden, the lights get dimmer and dimmer, unless the cabling is very substantial.

LED lighting does help in this regard, as it has lower current requirements.
    How you do it may depend on the type of lighting you have in mind.

7. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Good old 'Part P' places this work outside the scope of the DIY person as it is in an area that requires special measures for safety. Spaceman has the right solution, put the transformer by the socket and run 12V cabling to the lights, use LED's to reduce the current and voltage drop. The 12 volt installation is outside part P remit.

8. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Part P covers ALL electrical work.
    Or do you mean that this is notifiable work? Which it is not.

9. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Oh good god, have you heard of Liberty. lol sorry i am very against Building Control and the draconian bull-**** they spew.

If they feel a DIY is dangerous they should investigate it on their own time and cost not steal our hard earn't cash to fulfil their existence.

########

You cant bury a SWA cable and wire it into a 3 pin mains plug. If you want a permanent install you must install it into a dedicated circuit.

Are the lights low voltage or 230v?
    If they are low voltage then you need install a low voltage supply internally and then the low 12-24v is to go out to the lighting in your outside location.

Installing a 230v power supply outside requires a professional to do such a job. There is allot involved to meet the requirements to such an installation and no products are available to allow for this kind of installation without a professional who knows what he/she is doing to make sure it is IP68 safe.

If you use rechargeable 12v battery to power a string of LED lights, you can supply charge to the battery indoors and then power the lights outdoors from this battery then go for it. It is that simple, avoid traipsing your mains power outside and do away with the expense involved in mains power to light your garden.

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Err?? 230v IS low voltage!!

Did you really mean Extra Low Voltage?

Sparkielev likes this.
  11. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

I think fire is trying to explain in easy terms that a non electrician could relate to, we all know that 230v is classed as lv, but chances are Joe blogs thinks 12v is:rolleyes:

fire likes this.
  12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Go away. This is a SPAM free-zone.

fire likes this.
  13. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Not sure what they would charge to travel from India to sort it either :)

Kind regardds

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ooh you clicked on the link. That was brave!!

fire likes this.
  15. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

haha

You obviously did too lol