garden pump tripping RCD

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Hombrey, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Hombrey

Hombrey New Member

Had a call out today, a recently installed garden pond pump supplied by socket on ring main in garage. It appears that when the pump is switched off at socket, or by plug in timer in socket, 30mA rcd trips. I tested ring main and pump cables, all appears ok. My thoughts are pump should be supplied by double pole switch, or through a timer that switches both poles, because the neutral being permanently connected, when the phase is isolated by the switch or timer, the neutral (with the pump coming to a stop) causes imbalance on RCD and trips. Anyone agree? or am i barking up the wrong tree?

2. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

wrong tree mate i think, ramp test, then change pump

3. Hombrey

Hombrey New Member

did a ramp test, 28mS. You reckon shagged pump?

4. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

poss, i know i would get it swapped before i spent ages fecking about trying to solve what might be causing it

5. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

obviously checking the obvious first.

6. Hombrey

Hombrey New Member

not 28mS but 28mA.... before i get a ribbing

7. Hombrey

Hombrey New Member

will have another look at pump, when bloody rain stops!

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

240v Pump = Motor = DP switched to isolate surely? (reg somewhere for this)..or am I wrong?..Is the pump in fact 240v? as a matter of interest.

9. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

change the pump to a different load and see if it stops, if it does you got the culprit

10. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

good point jp, had not even picked up that one yet. It should have dp isolation somewhare along the line :)

11. Hombrey

Hombrey New Member

thats what i thought JP, do you think that single pole switching of the pump would cause RCD to trip? Pump is 240V

12. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

thats what i thought JP, do you think that single
    pole switching of the pump would cause RCD to trip?
    Pump is 240V

I cannot answer that Hombrey with conviction as have never come across that particular situation..however thinking about it would think not..unless there is some degree of neutral to earth degradation..that is just guessing though.

13. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

the sp switch should not cause a leak should it?

14. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

Swap the load man, i bet it is the prob!

15. Hombrey

Hombrey New Member

not a leak, but somehow cause an imbalance because neutral is still connected and the pump wont stop immediately when switched off, it will come to a stop. I was thinking that perhaps the motor coil maybe causing some sort of imbalance through RCD as neutral is slill connected and phase is isolated. But probably just reading to much into it and the pump is just shagged, although it is quite new

16. Hombrey

Hombrey New Member

I dont want to tell them their pump is shagged, replace it, and still have the same problem

17. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

swap it with another motor you have in the shed, or put a dp in line and switch it with that and see if it trips

18. Hombrey

Hombrey New Member

I tried turning it on and off just by inserting and removing the plug, it didnt trip then, but it didnt trip every time i switched off at socket switch, its a bit random, just wondered if anybody had any similar experiences to back up my thoughts

19. wklivesvtime

wklivesvtime New Member

its the pump mate i bet ya! Change it and let us know. If it wasnt ******** your way out of it :)

20. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

On a second perusal of the problem..maybe the motor cap is causing the trip with ref to SP switching..DP must be used before anyhting else as this at any level is what the regs state and could solve problem if cap is in fact fitted on motor..only a thought.