Garden retaining wall

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jonathan2015, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Jonathan2015

Jonathan2015 New Member

Hi,

I am planning to gravel my front garden so that I can park my car on it. I already have a shared drive running down the side of the house, so I just need to knock the wall down on the side of the garden to give me access.

The garden depth ranges from 0 to 10 inches, relative to the driveway. I plan to dig/fill it out to 6 inches and fill with 4" scalpings and 2" gravel, with a think membrane to stop the weeds.

The border of the new gravel parking area will be a brick wall, 2 bricks thick. So the wall height will vary from just being a border (where the garden height is the same as the driveway) to 10" at it's highest point (relative to the garden).

Can anyone advise me on how deep/wide the foundations for the wall should be please. I'm also not sure how far below the surface of the garden the first brick should be.

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Jonathan

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Foundations for a small wall like that, Subject to the ground conditions will only need to be 300mmX 300mm.

You only need enough brick below ground so the foundation don't get in the way of what you doing.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Well unless you are going to step the foundations, the first brick will be 11 bricks downs(one brick down at the other end)!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

PaulBlackpool and Ray Retired like this.