Gas boiler, hot water wired into timer, fixes...?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DempseyHammer, Nov 5, 2013.

1. DempseyHammer

DempseyHammer New Member

Hey folks,

I'm not sure if what I'm hoping for is possible but I wanted to ask the experts to be sure!

I live in rented accommodation and have a gas boiler in the downstairs bathroom which is linked to a digital timer panel in the next room. The boiler settings allow me to have hot water only (summer setting) or both water and heating, and individual dials to set the heating and hot water temperatures. The digital timer has options to have both the heating and water on all day, off all day, or on a timer which has 3 time periods for use on each day.

At the minute I'm having to turn the heating on when I don't need it just to get hot water to do the dishes or have a shower. I could turn the heating temperature dial on the boiler to 0 but the problem is remembering to turn that back on afterwards every time, and it seems a bit inconvenient to have to go downstairs to change settings on the boiler before and after a shower or bath just to get hot water on demand, which I thought was a feature of a gas system (is that not necessarily the case?). Moreover my housemate keeps flicking the system on to get hot water and then forgetting about it so the heating is on for an hour at a time unnecessarily (or all day, if he hits the wrong button, like today *sigh* And yes I've said to him about this, but he's even more forgetful than me, and I don't always catch it!)

Basically I would like to be able to have the hot water on demand when I turn on the hot tap and the heating on the timer, is this doable? And if so, what would you guys suggest as the best way to go about this as cheaply as possible? As I said I live in rented accommodation so I would either have to convince the landlord, or pay for it myself with his permission if I think it will save me enough money overall. I wondered if it might be an option to install a second timer of some sort and have the hot water control wired into it so that could be left on all day?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, let me know if you need any more info about the system to answer, thanks folks!

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you don't mention a room stat ? - is there one ? there should be one ......... that'll allow you to do what you want, just keep the stat turned down

3. DempseyHammer

DempseyHammer New Member

No room stat :(

4. kiaora

kiaora Guest

hi
    if we assume the system was installed and working on day one.. there is a fault with the system. the fault is... ummm.. maybe the programmer.... diverter valve stuck in mid-position? who knows.. if its rented accommodation (and you have a landlords gas safety cert.) will he not just send an engineer round to look at it?
    regards
    peter

5. Having to turn the heating on to get hot water? That's just weird...

Any chance of a photo of these controls?

6. DempseyHammer

DempseyHammer New Member

Sorry for the delay in replying on this, had some health trouble, but the photos of the controls are below. As you can see there are options on the boiler controls to have the hot water and heating on or just the hot water, and the timer has options for on all day, auto, on or off for whatever is wired into it, in my case both the heating and hot water, and there's no way to separate them that I could find, but if anyone knows differently please let me know! Alternatively if someone could suggest a cheap fix I would greatly appreciate that too, thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Files:

7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

That is a single channel programmer, and it looks like you have a combination boiler Baxi by the look of it. Sounds as though the diverter valve may have failed on the boiler if you need to have the heating on to get hot water. You need to contact your landlord and tell him that the boiler needs fixing.

Dave

8. Dempsey, can you confirm the thinking above - that you have a 'combi' boiler? You do NOT have a hot cylinder that you need to heat up for hot water first?

In other words, to get hot tap water ALL you have to do is turn on a hot tap and the boiler fires up (ok, I know you currently have to turn the central heating on too, but - once you switch on the CH, then ALL you have to do is turn on a hot tap, You DON'T have to heat up a hot tank of water first?)

In which case, as said above, you have a fault.

Conbi boilers do not have their hot water supply on a timer - the whole idea is 'supply on demand'; you turn on a tap any time, and there it is.

So, your landlord needs to send out a GasSafe to sort it. Probably a straight-forward fix as Dave says.