Gas Hob connection

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dale Honeybucket, Feb 5, 2011.

1. Dale Honeybucket

Dale Honeybucket New Member

I wonder if any Plumber can help me? I'm redoing my Kitchen & nearly finished, it has taken 2 year so far, but I'm getting there(Gawd knows how long it would have taken me if I was also trying to hold down a job??!!). I've finished plastering all the walls with Polyfilla & wired all the sockets with bell wire, but now the wife is wanting a gas hob fitted in the worktop, the Ladies eh.............pffffttt!!!  Anyrode, I've run a new gas supply in that JG plastic pipe, blimey that's great stuff, so easy to use. No wonder you Plumbers make £120K/year!!!  But I've a couple of questions; Is it OK to connect the gas hob with one of these flexi pipes the cowboy Plumbers use to connect taps?? and I've got the gas meter sitting on top of the BBQ outside, so it'll be easy to connect the hob gas pipe, how do I test this pipe??  Someone told me to just use a Cig lighter and if you have a leak, it'll show up.

2. catchup

catchup Member

Reel em in son.....there,ll be some Engineers on soon. Theyve been awake since 5am looking for something to think about.

Maybe DA will offer some advice on how to lite the BBQ.

3. Dale Honeybucket

Oh that's so refreshing to know ketchup, will Mr DA provide his normal long-winded, poorly advised drivel in perfect English??? Advice to a hard of thinking DaftyDIY'ers like me in a patronising manner is a must and he is perfect at it.

4. hibeealex

hibeealex Member

Dale you silly boy ! never use polyfilla for plastering its cheaper to use expanding foam and easier to smooth out
    Bell wire is only ever used for leading people by the bell end ask the Mrs
    Cowboys eh ! Never use flexi's on a gas connection better to use a JG tap connector and some plumbers mait
    Thats also a great money saving idea, putting the meter on the BBQ cause the heat from the BBQ will pre heat the gas before Mrs P has to use it , I can see you getting some tonight wiv all these great idea's. you lucky lucky man.

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

DA ladeeman will be along soon. What you are describing is standard practice in the Heelands. Puller International are your local experts and  well versed in push fit gas installations.

6. Dale Honeybucket

Now, now Skipper!! Show some respect, DA is an engineer after all & could bore for Britain.

*............Happy days.............

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Dale, just make sure you use sharp steel fittings with the plastic pipe. Don't use those cheap nasty brass ones that usually come with the hobs. They are far to soft. When you tighten the fitting up, I find finger tight is usually enough. (No need to go overboard with the pliers)
    To test for gas tightness, I usually get our canary out of it's cage and make it sit on the pipe, right next to the fitting for about half an hour. If it's still awake then I know it's gas tight. (You might want to get some birdlime if it keeps flying away though).. Sometimes, I go for the tried and trusted BG method of Fairy Liquid, but must admit, up to now, balancing a bottle of the stuff on the gas pipe has never worked for me. (perhaps you have to undo the top or something)
    A word of warning:eek: If it's one of these fancy built in hobs, you'll have to cut a hole out of the worktop (usually) If you don't have a saw to do this then a simpler way is to buy some 2"x2" battens and have them cut to the size of the hob. You can then screw these down to the worktop and place the hob on top.(I'd stick the hob down with Sticks Like ****, instead of using those metal fittings that come with the hob). As long as you buy some nice planed wood , it looks fandabidozi, and is always a nice feature for visitors to talk about, specially if you paint it in a contrasting colour afterwards.
    When you have fitted your hob, if you find any of those red coloured washers they supply, left over, I find them just the right size for making pikey earrings. A spray with some gold coloured paint and they look great. ;)

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

JJ This thread is a light-hearted mickey-take. There was no need to go into so much detail about your craftmanship. We know you always work to a very high standard. :)

9. joinerjohn1

Cheers Captain. I know coming from you that's  a great compliment. ;)

10. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff.  You lot are going to kill me wiff laughter! It'll get worse when DA & tomump reply?  Well, Dickies Pulling, nice one you drummed up ere? Just make sure the BBQ don't blow your balls to high heavens!

11. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Must try the earrings tip next time I go to Liverpool......

12. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

Now, now GBrown no need for below the belt punches? This thread was meant 2b lighthearted, now you're trying to put up my blood pressure by gettingLFC involved? WHY??????   Now, where's that bottle of Whiskey? TGI Friday

13. Dale Honeybucket

You've got a nice wee cottage craft industry going there John, what with the pikey earrings. I can just picture you sitting there in your Fairisle jumper & crocs, the smell of quality skunk filling the air, while you hand craft these earrings..
    Perhaps you can enlighten me further though, I have fixed some 125x12mm of-saw timber as kickplates, but I don't want the missus getting a rash on her toes while peeling the tatties, would you advise the wearing of steel toe cap boots??................Oh this DIY is not as easy as it looks!!!

14. joinerjohn1

Dale, you spoil the wee wifie. Sawn timber and steel toecap boots indeed. I'd have gone for some nice OSB or shuttering ply nicked from the local building site, then possibly painted it with some creosote. You could always buy her some socks, or perhaps suggest she wears a couple of coop shopping bags on her feet when she's in the kitchen.
    As for the Fairisle jumper, the only one I ever had was one my old grandmother knitted for me when I was about 7 or 8. Sadly the moths got to it when I was 10 and she, couldn't find any wool the same colours to darn it with. Shame really, it was a booby dazzler. The skunk too is something I can barely afford. Last time I tried growing my own, the seeds sprouted but turned out to be Big Tom tomatoes (tasted bloody awful and were hard to roll into a joint).
    Ahhh the tales I could tell you Dale. Anyway, I must dash now, the neighbour is coming back soon so I have to leave his house the way it was when I broke in, to use his computer. He'll be in the pub tonight so I might manage to get back on for a few hours later. ;)

15. Dale Honeybucket

That's a wee shame the moths getting to your Granny like that, but hey I guess the worms will have her by now eh??!!  I really miss my Granny also, she was on 3 bottles of Elderado a day & never missed a day at her work as a Bus Driver.