Gas Hob Splash back-is this suitable?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by do224, Mar 27, 2017.

1. do224

do224 Member

Hi all,

The splash back above my kitchen worktop is a laminate material. There are no signs of scorching on it behind the hob but for piece of mind I'm going to install a heat resistant splash back. I'm intending to use this http://www.screwfix.com/p/mottez-brushed-stainless-steel-splashback-panel-600-x-500-x-0-6mm/33388 and just wanted to check that it's thick enough and suitable and what I should attach/glue it up with? There is no mention in the product description if it's suitable for use behind a gas hob but I presume that is it's intended use?

Very many thanks,

David

2. Yes, that's what it's intended for.

I doubt it'll fully protect your laminate material from the heat if you trained a flame directly on to it for a length of time - it is only thin sheet metal after all - but since your laminate is currently not showing any signs of being scorched, then it should be perfectly ok with this useful addition in front.

How to fix? STIXALL!

If you put a series of dabs of Stixall around the perimeter and in between, then place it gently against the wall and press it into place but not too firmly, then you'll have a couple of mm effective air gap betwixt it and the laminate so this will add a very useful amount of extra insulation.

I'm sure it'll be fine.

3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Why not approach a metal supplier and ask how much for a piece of 0.5mm brushed stainless steel 600mm x 500mm would be to purchase? I reckon you'd find them cheaper than our hosts (every time) Some years ago, I purchased a piece of SS for a splashback (700 x 600) and a SS cover for pipework, formed into the shape I required for less than £20.

4. do224

do224 Member

Many thanks chaps