gas illegals

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Omniscient Polymath, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Omniscient Polymath

Omniscient Polymath New Member

Went to a customers house today to investigate why her electric oven was tripping the circuit breaker. After rectifying the problem she asked if I would service her boiler for her. Apparently, thought the gas board service contract wasn't worth the money. Now there's a thing.

She said it shouldn't need to much cleaning son cause it's only 2 years old max. Had a look and low and behold it was a non-condensing boiler.

After further probing, turns out a gas board guy fitted it on the side. No gas work notification, using the gas board corgi number van, tools and materials.

Flue is rising as it leaves the kitchen so water entering the flue can run down into the combustion chamber. Blow off pipe pointing straight out wall at waste level and not sleeved.

Thinking of notifying corgi through the illegals hotline, but have never been a grass. Tempting though as the gas board guy is apparently quite high up!

Any thoughts.

2. wetneck

wetneck New Member

Grass him,fill yer boots,he,d do it to us,probably pinched the boiler as well,get in there;D

3. Omniscient Polymath

Grass him,fill yer boots,he,d do it to us,probably
    pinched the boiler as well,get in there;D

Thanks for the vote of confidence, I'm very tempted. Was also thinking once corgi and the hse are involved, maybe the tax man would be interested.

Could be painful, especially as penny's are tight for a lot of people at the minute.

Thing is though if he was pulled up he could lose his job, if he's got a wife and kid's that wouldn't be fair. After all, they've got nothing to do with it.

4. georgeybest

georgeybest New Member

He may lose his job and he may have a wife and kids, but...

Do you condone illegal fitting, non payment of taxes. We all have to pay tax, VAT etc.

Its all about whether you have the courage to stand up for what is right.

5. wetneck

wetneck New Member

Grass him up,serves the bar steward right,if he got the chance to put you out of business, he would without any guilt.What hes doing is ILLEGAL

6. Omniscient Polymath

Grass him up,serves the bar steward right,if he got
    > the chance to put you out of business, he would
    without any guilt.What hes doing is ILLEGAL

Quite right he would, I know from experience there a bunch of * most of them. Spoke with a good friend of mine who's got his own plumbing business as well and he said 'give me the details and I'll do it for you'. That's my answer then.

It's done, I am now officially a grass and it doesn't feel good. But at the end of the day, he's not paying the registrations and insurances I do. Business is business after all.

The old biddy got him to do it because she always' thought the gas board are the most professional. Why is it we never here on the media about the gas board and there underhand rip off tactics. If I were to trade like they do, I'd be rogue traders.

[Edited by: admin4]

7. 'as yers got yers own plumbing business? Yers shud 'av said.

8. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

It's amazing how many people still hold the statement "...but (I) have never been a grass..." as a badge of honour.*

From not 'telling' on school bullies, to not 'shopping' the thug with the gun.

Jeepers. Do the right thing. It's serious enough (I mean, the guy didn't even have the decency to do a proper installation with a proper boiler...).

* Which is why Paul Metcalfe's dad is such an astonishing and shining example.

9. devil's advocate

Oops, just read your latest post.

You dirty grass, you...

(

10. devil's advocate

11. Stoday

Stoday New Member

It's done, I am now officially a grass and it doesn't
    feel good. But at the end of the day, he's not paying
    the registrations and insurances I do. Business is
    business after all.

You did the right thing. This was an incompetent job, next one might be lethal, so don't feel guilty.

12. Omniscient Polymath

You did the right thing. This was an incompetent job,
    next one might be lethal, so don't feel guilty.

Yes you are correct however, after a few nice wines and a nice indian meal with my missus, can't still stop thinking.. if he has a mortgage and kids. Well I don't think anyone would like to see them suffer because he's a gas board pr*ck.

I'm a harsh fellow a lot of the time on here and sometimes quite rightly so, but would not like to ruin anyone.

Hey ho what's done is done. Corgi probably won't do anything anyway, it's the gas board after all.

13. graceland

graceland Active Member

don't worry mate, imagine if he killed one of YOUR relatives with a bad dangerous installation.

14. Newbvld

Newbvld New Member

what was the curry?

15. tomplum

tomplum Active Member

yawn..wake up people, see whats happening,its not unsafe to not notify a boiler,
    devs put his own boiler in, he's a skool teecher ***,
    you are so sad to graSS on a colleague when its a not to current standerd situation,,
    i see you people in a supermarket counting the items in a '10 or less' check out till,, ferkin grow up,,

16. Northwest gas svc's

Northwest gas svc's New Member

You sad loser, the customer has you in their house now doing a job not them, the jobs not ID, BG men have to do private work to substitute their poor wages, corgi havent a leg to stand on, the engineers are corgi registered. BG dont like it,but more so if he used his van, but wont be able to prove anything, tax man is the problem but if he decided to investigate you, could you honestly say youve declared all youve earnt ???
    Live and let live you poor sad loser

17. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

You sad loser, the customer has you in their house
    now doing a job not them, the jobs not ID, BG men
    have to do private work to substitute their poor
    wages, corgi havent a leg to stand on, the engineers
    are corgi registered. BG dont like it,but more so if
    he used his van, but wont be able to prove anything,
    tax man is the problem but if he decided to
    investigate you, could you honestly say youve
    declared all youve earnt ???
    Live and let live you poor sad loser

Must admit I wouldn't have reported it. There is no evidence that he didn't pay tax is there? Even if there was most of us have at some time or another had undeclared earnings even if only in the form of a tenner slipped to you by a grateful customer.

Not saying I wouldn't report some crimes but I think you have to make your own mind up whether or not you are reporting it for the greater good or just for your own personal reasons.

18. wetneck

wetneck New Member

Got to be a gas board employee with that attidude,plumb/lec,youve done the right thing.Don forget some of the idiots on here are gas board looking for ideas,if you suss one out ask them a simple plumbing question non gas related,no lap top, no ideas

19. oliver1234

oliver1234 New Member

Got to be a gas board employee with that
    attidude,plumb/lec,youve done the right thing.Don
    forget some of the idiots on here are gas board
    looking for ideas,if you suss one out ask them a
    simple plumbing question non gas related,no lap top,
    no ideas

WTF has that got to do with whether or not you should report something?

20. wetneck

wetneck New Member

Got to be a gas board employee with that
    attidude,plumb/lec,youve done the right
    thing.Don
    forget some of the idiots on here are gas board
    looking for ideas,if you suss one out ask them a
    simple plumbing question non gas related,no lap

top,
    no ideas

WTF has that got to do with whether or not you should
    report something?