Gas Pipe Under Floorboards

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dereekoo, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

I am having a single storey extension built on back of house with a suspended wooden floor with 500mm space beneath. I need to have the gas pipe to my living room gas fire diverted from running along existing skirting boards (due to part of wall being demolished to provide acces into new extension) and want to have diverted gas pipe run in the void beneath the floor. Is this feasible/acceptable practice.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

if you follow the regs regarding sealing and ventilation it is,

3. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

Well the void will be ventilated in accordance with building regs but how can you seal and ventilate at the same time?

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the pipe would have to be sealed in its own sheaving/boxing but with one end open outside the void so that no build up of gas can occur in the void should the pipe fracture ,;)

5. stu1312

stu1312 Member

When I replaced my kitchen last year had a bigger gas pipe installed for if we ever change the boiler. The pipe was just clipped to the floor joists, wasn't in any boxing or sleeving although there is venting under the floor.

6. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

I think that unless there has been a big change in regs, under floor is treated as a ventilated space. Its only trunking and boxed in pipes that require ventilation.
    Thousands if not millions of miles of gas pipe under floors throughout the country.
    Really should have metal protection where they pass through joists to protect from nails although I am not sure even this is mandatory.

Real men ran their gas pipes in iron, practically bullet proof, thrashing about on the floor threading 3/4 iron with stocks & dies and a pair of twelves, they are all softies these days since copper became the norm:p:p:p

plumberboy and FatHands like this.
  7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

See loads of new builds and refurbs with gas under the floor.

8. elefantman

elefantman Member

I'd 2nd the iron idea, there's plenty out there still able to work with it, too many young goons running 1 man bands can't, find a good plumber who can and stick with him.

9. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Proper real men would run the gas in lead again......real men would use iron..... sensible pros use copper.....some DIYers would use speedfit. Each to their own

10. itchyspanner

itchyspanner Member

under the floor is fine.