Gas to Solid Fuel Fireplace Conversion

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kerrroom, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Kerrroom

Kerrroom New Member

Following the sad and slow death of our gas fireplace we have decided to go for solid fuel (wood) open fire.

The corgi chap as removed and capped the gas and we are now left with a hole 17" wide, 23" high in the mantle and approx 17" deep.

The hole is square with no shape or profile.

The rear face comprises red bricks with evidence (sooty) of a previous fire. The sides are lined with clear 'thermalite' (sp?) blocks that I would guess would be unsuitable.

So, the question - what do I need to do / install / replace to have a real fire?

(I have already booked to get the chimney swept as we do not know when this was done last).
    Thanks.

2. multijack

multijack Member

First thing is talk to the sweep and get his opinion on the flue...ie...did loads of masonry come tumbling down when he swept it...
    Second thing to do is test the condition of the flue with a "smoke pellet". You do have to temporarily seal the top of the chimney pot to do this effectively so you may need to get someone to do this for you... maybe the sweep can help with this or recommend someone.
    If all turns out OK it sounds like you need to fit a "fireback" in the recess...judging from measurements you've given you should be able to get a standard one to fit...take measurements to builders merchants and have a look...BUT check the flue as above before spending money on fireback cos if it isnt in good smoketight condition you are into re-lining the flue...and that means getting your wallet ready...;-)

3. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

multiman could you use a wood burner type flue liner to line the chimney with ?

4. Kerrroom

Kerrroom New Member

Thanks for the replies so far.

I have done some work today and opened out the old gas fire recess and removed the themalite blocks. This has exposed the 'old' fireplace and red-brick lining to all three sides.

Now I think I 'just' need to make good the base (which is only level for the size of the gas fire) and possibly do something by way of lining or are the red bricks (any any new lining) likely to be soot covered in no time anyway. Also, get the chimney swept as has been previously suggested.

I have posted some photos on another forum also:

http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=29615

Thanks again for the advice / tips.
    Simon

5. multijack

multijack Member

By the look of the photos the old fireplace was in use with a dog grate...essentially a steel or iron basket which sat in the recess so that no part of it would come into contact with the brickwork...not the most efficient form of heating cos the apperture is so big that all your heat flies at a brisk rate up the chimney...they are also hard to regulate the airflow to the fire so it will tend to roar away and burn all your fuel in a very short time.
    In answer to the question raised by "doing a bit"..
    I tend to use stainless flexi as a last option on burners as they do have a life span ( 10yrs )..and never fit them for open fires cos of the level of heat generated just above the throat of the fireback...whenever possible I re-line with clay liners for both open fires and burners as you tend to get a "flue for life"...not just 10yrs as with flexi.