General Electric RCBOs

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Pinteater, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Can anyone tell me where I can buy replacements for a customer's set of GE MCBs? The existing are GE Series E type IEC 898 V/099-014132 and I'm trying to update with RCBOs that will fit? I've tried all the main dealers / outlets - (not sure if I can name them here?). GE themselves are so big, their website was equally unwieldy to be able to ask them. Couldn't see a reference or serial # on the unit.

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

3. Smokey

Smokey Active Member

Stick "general electric rcbo's" in E Bay, and there they are.

4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Some time ago, GE produced a range of RCBOs that fitted their CUs. They were low profile ones, as the GE/Vyknier box was only really tall enough for their MCBs. These disappeared after a short time and i have not seen them available for several years.
    Looking at the eBay offerings for GE RCBOs, there are some of those low profile MCBs on offer but a very limited selection of ratings. At between £30 and £50 each and ship from Australia??!! :eek:,

I would be worried about future supply and consider the GE range as obsolete. I would suggest that replacing the whole CU would be a better, and cheaper solution.

KIAB likes this.
  5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Yup. Change the CU.

KIAB likes this.
  6. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Cheers Guys - thanks in particular to Pollowick - I couldn't find this when I spent an hour on GE's site. :confused:

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Let us know what you decide to do / what you find out. It may help others in the same situation!

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Best idea.:)

9. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Thanks again for all the advice. I cannot seem to get hold of any supplier details that solve the problem. I think it's clear you're all right - they're obsolete!
    Customer's CU is in a mare location and there's no space around it to move anything. She doesn't want a new CU. Any views on fitting a stand-alone / free-standing RCBO into the spur concerned (3a FCU in a bathroom). Does the protective device have to be outside the bathroom?

10. They have been making RCD spur units for donkeys years.

11. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I would fit an RCD next to the cu to protect the individual circuit involved.

12. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Thank you Deleted member 11267. You say they've been making them for years....and....?

13. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Bazza, cheers, there's absolutely no space around/near the CU for anything. Which RCBO would you recommend?

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Not an RCBO. RCBOs go inside the cu and replace an MCB. As you know, RCBOs do not fit. So you would need an RCD to serve either the whole circuit. Or (as Deleted member 11267 said) replace the Fcu for an RCD-FCU. There are a number of these around.
    You can even get them from a company called Screwfix

PS. why do you need to fit an RCD ?

15. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Oh, ok thanks Bazza. I've not heard of Screwfix, I'll google them right away.
    There's a FCU in the bathroom spurred from the lighting circuit which is not RCD protected - only MCB.

16. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You are pulling my voltage tester, aren't you?
    WHo do you think is hosting this forum??:rolleyes:

17. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Think he was chain cranking ;)

18. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Or eating pints.
    Thanks all, I'll install a RCD FCU item 26963 on Page 331 of the SF Catalogue.