Generator set up

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jay459, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Jay459

Jay459 Member

What is the best way to get a generator set up with my new home. Its a new build. Ive actually had a roll of steel armour cable run from main board to the back yard for a shed I will be putting up in the near future. Im just thinking could this be used to wire in a generator. I could keep the generator in the shed...

How much money are we talking to get this done. I already have a generator which was given to me by a deceased uncle. We have a 3-4 outages a year and would come in handy. Area suffers from heavy snow which is one of the causes of these outages...

Basically we are just looking to run the heating, lights, tv and broadband would be great.

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You would need a second cable run to the shed, it's size calculated on what you intend to run and the generators output size. Going larger to allow a larger generator would be sensible.

You need a changeover switch installed near your consumer unit, and do things correctly, you should have a second consumer unit for your "essential" circuits, only this consumer unit being powered by the generator via the changeover switch. This prevents you or your family overloading your generator.

It's one for a decent sparky to design and install.

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I remember back in the days of the "winter of discontent" in the 70's (showing my age), I was a youngster working in a garage. During the many power outages, we wired a 3 pin plug onto the end of the generator output, plugged it in to a convenient socket and just turned off the main isolator. This distributed power to all the other sockets..... Not sure that's the correct way to do it ;-)

4. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

No Simon , it's bl--dy dangerous on a number of levels!!!!

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Yes I know! The 70's were dangerous times. One of my jobs in this garage was to sit in the cars while up on the lift and when the floors were being welded with a squirty of water and put out the flames when the sound deadening and carpet underlay caught fire......

sorry OT

6. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

The generator should have an overload cut out.
    My brother borrowed my small generator and used two 13amp plugs on a flying lead after a power outage.

He has an immersion on his hot water cylinder which he turned off. He also has an Ariston bathroom electric water heater which operates automatically on a built in thermostat and operates 24/7. About 3kw I think it is.

Anyway his electrician provided no isolater so the only way to turn it off is at the consumer unit and flick the mcb off. Which isn't labelled. None of them are.

He couldn't figure out why the generator kept tripping out on overload. Even though I explained it too him.

He then used his own 7kw petrol generator which is quite thirsty. LoL.

7. Lectrician

A plug either end of a flex is absolutely leather and should not be considered. The term given to these leads has historically been "widow maker".

You are also in breach of your terms of your connection agreement if you install a generator without the necessary changeover switch.

Reminisce about these leads by all means, but don't openly encourage their use.

8. Jay459

Jay459 Member

I won't be doing the double ended plug but to be honest it is perfectly safe so long as you turn your consumer unit off

9. Lectrician

No it's not. It is far from perfectly safe.

Where does that lead live for the rest of the time? Who is going to be using it? Can you ensure it is not used by others?

It's down right dangerous. There is no positive argument that can outweigh the highly dangerous negatives. It would be irresponsible to create a lead like this, or advise on their use.

10. Jay459

Jay459 Member

I agree its not the right way to do it but you are making hypothetical points. If you had 2-3 outages a year and the lead was in good order, consumer unit turned off, it will do the job without risk.

The lead is kept in safe storage, i alone am the only one going to use it and i am 100% nobody else would use it...

These points are not a good argument for not using such a lead...

Again i am not saying this is the right way of doing such a task...

11. Lectrician

You cannot say you can 100% ensure nobody else will use it, or be around when it's in use. Someone could easily unplug the plug without thought. You cannot guarantee you will be around.

What happens years down the line?

It is just plain irresponsible to think it is perfectly safe and fine to do it this way.

It sounds like you have made your mind up though, so go ahead and endanger the lives of yourself, your family, visitors, DNO operatives and anyone who comes along and stumbles on the lead after your death.

12. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

think you will find that you would not have any earthing to protect supply!!!!!!!

13. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I was jokingly going to say the double ended plug lead as I've done it a few times to power up empty houses, but didn't as it just not cricket on a public forum to endorse such things. :D:D:D

Works though. :)

14. Jay459

Jay459 Member

Im here to get the correct method of doing it, not the shortcut. i was only making a point that the double ended plug works safely and efficiently if used correctly.

But anyway, what is the second cable required for as the tarmac is done and would be difficult getting a second cable run?

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I came across a double plugged cable years ago and couldn't think what it was used for. I chopped it in half and threw it in the bin.

16. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It doesn't work safely. Nor can it be used correctly as it is completely and utterly incorrect. Also, if the main switch fails or is not properly engaged then there would be an additional problem. Or if you forget.

Not only that but it is very likely to be illegal. Under no circumstances should it be done, nor can it be endorsed. It is never safe, nor is it ever acceptable.

A male connection should never, ever be used for the live end.

The earthing arrangements will also need to be considered for the generator, and whether this can run in parallel to the mains supply.

17. Lectrician

"i was only making a point that the double ended plug works safely"

No it doesn't you twit. There is no way you can ever say a lead like this is safe. You're irresponsible if you consider it to be so.

18. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Leave it alone OP, get a spark in to design and install it end of.

From what I have skimmed through you have no idea what your doing

The pro's have put forward their advice, they will do as they have to do to meet safety standards

If you want to go ahead and do what you want, fill your boots pal

You have been told.

19. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

That's how I run my genny in power outages.
    For only 3 or 4 times a year a change over switch is not worth the expense.

The more dangerous it is the more caution one takes. I've thought about using commando connectors which might make it look a bit safer.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  20. Jay459

Jay459 Member

As stated from the start, I am looking the proper method to installing a generator. And I never brought up the idea of a double ended plug.

It was mentioned that my run of steel armour cable to the back will not be enough and a second cable must be run. What is the second cable for?