Getting a wire (for ham radio antenna) over a tall tree

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by diymostthings, Aug 17, 2014.

1. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

We have a tallish (I estimate about 25-30m) tree at the bottom of our garden which I want to use to support one end of a wire antenna (The other end will be on the house chimney). I wondered if anyone would have a suggestion as to how I might get a line over or near the top of the tree to pull up the antenna wire? I can't climb the tree (at my age!) so have been thinking about a catapult, bow and arrow, helium balloon (hot air balloon?), kite, using light fishing line for the first line over. My first attempts with a home made bow and arrow fell woefully short (much to the amusement of the kids next door!).

Any advice or experience gratefully received!

diymostthings

2. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

I reckon a competent fisherman would easily do a quick overhead cast with line and a lead weight, then as you say attach the line to the aerial wire and up it comes

3. ...snigger...

What exactly are you trying to do - just get the wire over the tree where it'll sit in a 'Y' branch and then gets anchored on something else behind the tree, or are you planning to fasten the wire to the tree itself?

If the latter, I can't think of an easy way other beyond actually getting up there.

If the former, then I'd have thought that bow and arrow or casting a fishing line would be the more likely options to succeed.

Do you have a fishing rod?

Or, a very carefully controlled 'plank' catapult; one end secured at whatever angle is needed - say 60o - and then a 'cup' holder at the top fastened on. Golf-ball sized stone (or an actual gold or tennis ball) with fishing line attached, pull back and FIRE.

Realistically, I can see it going majorly wrong - the line getting caught in the branches, the ball being permanently stuck near the top, etc etc.

4. diymostthings

Thanks for that ramseyman - I hadn't actually thought of hiring a fisherman! If all else fails...

5. diymostthings

Well DA - The idea I have is to fire a line over point where branch meets trunk ("Y branch") with a weight on the end so that it falls down to the ground on the other side of the tree. Then pull up the antenna wire (which would be attached to nylon washing line). Only the nylon line would rest in the "Y". The nylon line would reach down on the other side of the tree and have a weight on the end, freely swinging. This should keep the antenna wire taut as the branches sway etc. The only problem would be the nylon line either jamming in the "Y" bit or gradually wearing away and breaking. Ideally it would be nice to fix a pulley up there but can't think of a way to do this from the ground! I havn't got a fishing line so would have to hire one. I notice fishermen also use catapults to fire bait out from the shore - so a good fisherman might be the solution. Leaves are dropping now and I can see a nice juicy branch to use...
    Thanks for your help
    diymostthings

6. Thrudgle

Thrudgle Member

Amateur radio........

Naaah, better not.

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Point of post?.

8. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I believe that the RAF aerial riggers used crossbows to run high wires. Try not to kill anyone if you use this method. :eek:

9. diymostthings

OK Malkie - my neighbour mentioned something like that but sounds too dangerous - even though there is a field behind the tree.

10. Thrudgle

Thrudgle Member

CQ, CQ, CQ, let's have a reeeeeally stimulating conversation about, errmmmm, let's see now, ermmmm, I'll think of summink, ...... nice weather innit.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2014
  11. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

12. diymostthings