Glass Splashback Fitting/Sealing

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by chocolate, Mar 24, 2010.

1. chocolate

chocolate New Member

I want to fit a Black glass splashback behind my gas hob.What is the best thing to (a) fix it to the plastered wall.(b) seal between it and the surrounding tiles.Baring in mind the proximity of the hob.

2. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Most glass splashbacks have a sticky backing. You peel off the plastic/wax paper covering and literally stick it back to the wall. You can seal the edges with silicon, either clear or coloured to match the tiles or splashback.

3. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Will Mastic Be OK With The Heat?

4. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

No. Use silicon.

5. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

depends on the finish of the glass if its a cheap clear one then id get a glass man to drill a couple of fixing holes through it! as silicone will be seen through it1 if its opaque then silicone away old chap!

6. seneca196

seneca196 Member

hi there,
    I'm thinking about fitting a glass splashback intstead of tiling so thought I'd join this thread to ask a few questions.

1) is there a standard distance that should be between splashback and hob?
    2) Is it "glued" into position using regular silicon sealant? (I never knew silicon could be used as an adhesive, as only ever used it to seal edges. Is there another kind for sticking things with?)
    3) am I right in thinking, once it's stuck, it won't come off without breaking/ruining it?
    4) does there need to be a gap left round a glass splashback or upstand so it can move a bit without cracking? If so, how much gap and should it be filled with silicon afterwards?
    thanks

7. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Sorry,that is what I meant to say,but I have a habit of calling silicone, mastic.Thank's for the advice though.

8. chocolate

chocolate New Member

Thank's for the advice. It isn't a 'cheap' one , so I needed to know that.

9. Bod1

Bod1 Member

Silicone is a great adhesive, expecially for glass which has the same chemical make-up as Silicone. Acetic acid curing silicones are best adhesives. The glass should be toughened and therefore heat resistant, although it should not get heated directly.
    A good source is www.opticolour.co.uk, they 'paint' the rear of toughened glass with silicone paint. You should never need to remove the glass, it will last a lifetime.

10. essex-fitter

essex-fitter New Member

I use Dow Corning Mirror Adhesive available from our hosts, stock number 95057.

The supplier who makes my splasbacks said this was the stuff to use....I've got to do a whole bathroom soon with glass walls! going to be a nightmare to template for the glass merchant

11. jadegibbon

jadegibbon New Member

try these guys-
    they use hodgsons u9 silicon
    its low acidity tried and tested!! i wouldn't trust any other silicon...
    I've been selling this silicon with spalshbacks for over 4years now....
    others i've tried tend to strip paint...
    hope that helps.

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

12. lisabazil

lisabazil New Member

hi i have a lovely splashback from b&q that has floral picture it really sets the room up only thing is i might be moving but really want to take it with me can they be removedĀ 

13. snezza31

snezza31 New Member

Hi lisa,
    It depends entirely on what has been used to fix it to the wall.

If it has no holes or screws tha you can see, then it will have been glued using silicone or something similar.

I have had to change a couple of glass splashbacks over the years, and it is possible to very gently "pry" them forward.

If you start at the top left or right hand side, get someone to help you hold it as it starts to come forward, then with patience and a long thin blade of some sort, you may get it off. ............BE CAREFULL not to scratch the back of the glass with the blade as it may be what gives the glass its colour and pattern.

The best of luck to you!

Snezza31

14. margaret Morris

margaret Morris New Member

I would like to know what is the best thing to use to put up a LED splashback