Glazing Security Bead

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Ashley Evans, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Ashley Evans

Ashley Evans New Member

Hello Everybody.

This is a long shot but worth a go.

I have a business that solely concentrates on replacing misted up double glazed units in uPVC.

I have replaced hundreds on units and rarely have a problem getting the beads on and off. However, I have recently come across some externally glazed windows. The beads simply will not come off. The rubbers have all been taken out and the glass is loose. But the beads seems clipped or welded on. Trying to force my knife into the beads will eventually just snap and chip the bead. There is absolutely no play.

I have come across this once before and had to smash the window out. Even with the beads exposed, it was very difficult to pop them off.

I have asked lot's of people in the industry and they have mentioned there is some sort of tool that goes in between the glass and the bead that will pop it out from the back.

Does anyone know of such a tool?

Thank you

2. Ashley Evans

Ashley Evans New Member

They are old windows so do not have security tape on the inside of the unit. They also do not have a wedge type compression gasket making the beads tight. They just have an E Type Gasket either side of the glass.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

In the centre of a bead (the longest one first), at the side nearest the glass(at rubber), push in towards the glass, then the same all the way along.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Ashley Evans

Ashley Evans New Member

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah you may be right. I may not need a tool. Maybe I need to use a different technique. I literally replaced hundreds of double glazed units but these just seem impossible.

Cheers

5. Biffo

Biffo Member

are they profile 22 ,staybrite ??

6. Ashley Evans

Ashley Evans New Member

I'm not sure. I have had a look for any markings but cannot find any. I would say they are a good 25 years old.

I've just realised I have made a mistake in my original post. They are actually internally beaded. Just a flat bead with no moulding.

7. Lee Locker

Lee Locker New Member

Hi LB sheerframe use a deglazing tool that goes between bead & glass, rather than frame & bead.
    But I noticed you said you'd removed all the Gaskets was these wedge gaskets?

8. Ashley Evans

Ashley Evans New Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I went back to the job and managed to get them off. They were just extremely tight and I just had to find the right technique.

Thanks Lee. I'll have a look at Sheerframe, That could come in useful.

9. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

I have come across a similar problem on steel doors. How do you remove their beads.