Gloss paint recommendation

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Crowmark, Feb 25, 2014.

1. Crowmark

Crowmark New Member

Amateur DIYer asking for advice, when we decorate wifey does the gloss work as she says she find it therapeutic (don't ask, I don't understand either) but gets * off with current gloss paints as they 'aren't as good as the older ones'.
    So, would anyone recommend a specific manufacturer/type of gloss for best results (resistance to yellowing, toughness, ease of application etc) or are they all much of a muchness?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2014
  2. apl

apl Member

Hi Crowmark. Everyone has their own favourite gloss paint. If your going down the oil based route then Dulux Trade should see you right.

However, oil based paint does yellow rather quickly, so you might want to consider using a water based system, which does stay whiter longer.

Dulux Ecosure could be worth looking at, as would Bedec Aqua Advanced Gloss which dries to a really tough finish. Johnstones aqua is also good.

Oil based pros. One undercoat and one gloss coat normally on previously coated wood and still reasonably priced. Cons. It yellows, smells and takes ages to dry.

Water based pros. Quick to apply, odourless, dries quick, stays white.
    Cons. Normally two gloss coats required even after undercoating. More expensive than oil based gloss.

Good luck

3. Boolay

Boolay Member

Bedec is the best I've found so far, put plenty on and and don't over brush or you'll end up with brush marks

4. Crowmark

Crowmark New Member

Thanks for the replies Gents, I'll pass said recomendations on to She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed :)

5. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Dulux Once, comes up like glass

B J

6. supertosh

supertosh Member

Dulux trade high gloss is my preferred choice. Nice high gloss finish.

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Or as it's known in the trade,, Dulux twice at least. :p:p:p:p:p

supertosh likes this.
  8. samcutche

samcutche New Member

What did your wifey used?