Gluing hardwood to ply.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Ryluer, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

For an outside door I want to glue 10mm thick t&g mahogany to a ply panel.
    Will the mahogany try to move when the seasons change?

Or will the glue hold it fast?

2. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Any one ever try this?

3. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Providing it's well treated then movement will be fairly minimal, it will still swell and shrink but not enough to break apart which I guess is what you're concerned about?
    All depends on how well you glue it up and what glue you use and again what you intend on sealing it up with.
    Are you looking at using a south american mahogany or something like sapele or utile?

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Yes Sapele.
    I have evo stick weatherproof wood adhesive.

Regards a sealer, do you mean the exterior varnish coating and what one do you recommend?
    I was thinking about treating the door with cuprinol clear wood preservative and a final few coatings of yacht varnish.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  5. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

What do you think of my plan RW?

6. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Sounds good, make sure you get the yacht varnish nicely into the end grain, but once it's coated up movement will be minimal, sapele is pretty stable anyway. Not had any experience with evo stik glues to be honest but should be ok, one of the strongest d3 non foaming glues that's readily available is titebond 3 if you wanted to upgrade on the glue quality.
    Are you planning to clamp the sapele and ply up, or use pins or screws via the ply face?

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I changed my plan slightly.
    I've the door almost finished. The door consists of a frame using 150mm x 41mm sapele. Top rail, bottom rail and middle rail.
    The inner edge was grooved to accept two 13mm ply panels. Top panel and bottom panel.

Now I just have to affix the t&g sapele boards.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014