gluing plasterboard to brick with solvented adhesive--fumes

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by maria2017, Jul 14, 2017.

1. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

Hello,
    We would please need some advice.
    We have recently redone the plaster on a part of a wall in a bedroom. Everything was removed to the brick, a sealant was used to treat the brick, and then plaster board was glued to brick. That part of the wall is about 1.6mx1.2 m. The builders have used 3 tubes of GripFill Xtra ( http://www.plumbcenter.co.uk/product/evo-stik-gripfill-xtra-solvent-based-adhesive-350ml/?gclid=CjwKEAjwtJzLBRC7z43vr63nr3wSJABjJDgJKv4D_qrbgtxyqaGHReSUis2qumutX9vYJ_TkvOjfpxoCx4Pw_wcB)

There were two parts of plasterboard joined together.

This was done on Sunday. Then the plasterboard was skimmed the same day. Tuesday was rainy, so humid. On Wednesday, we have painted.

However, we still get a very strong solvent smell/fumes coming from that wall. Is this normal? Was perhaps too much glue used? Will the smell disappear eventually? How long does it take? That part of the wall is next to a window and facing east, so it gets some sun heat and ventilation. We are quite concerned, this is our child's room.

Please advice.

Thank you very much.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well, I used it here for one job & the hum lasted a few days, once adhesive has cured then it shoulldn't smell.

5. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

Thank you again.
    Was the process otherwise correct? I am a little afraid that something may seal in the smell, as we really do not see any difference from one day to another...

6. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

It'll be fine - just give it a few days to cure properly. As Kiab says it isn't the adhesive I'd have used either, but not a problem.

KIAB likes this.
  7. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

Thank you, this is a little reassuring.

We are really concerned, especially since we have done this since there was a chemical reaction between the primer and a new plaster and we could not get rid of the smell in 3 months. The primer manufacturer said this happens in 1/100000 cases. We used Zinser etc to get rid of the smell, but in the end the solution was to take off all the plaster (from the ceiling and this part of the wall)...and now we run into this problem as we trusted the decorators...

You would not use this because of the smell?

8. Would have got them to plaster or render the wall rather than gripfilling a bit of plasterboard on it.

KIAB likes this.
  9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

It takes a while to cure properly. The foam adhesives go off dead quick. As Deleted member 11267 says, a bit of hardwall rather than layers of PB would prob have been better, but I guess they had those materials to hand for that little area. It'll be fine.

KIAB likes this.
  10. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

Thank you

11. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Are you by any chance using valspar paint?

12. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

we painted with dulux (as I said, three days after the plasterboard was installed skimmed )

13. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

OK there is a big problems with valspar smelling strongly at the moment thought that might be the possible cause here.;)

KIAB likes this.
  14. She did say the reason for hacking off the plaster was the smell from primer, therefore she could have used Valspar initially.

Robert43 likes this.
  15. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

I am sorry, I am a little afraid to share the name of the paint here. But is was not Dulux. Will check with my lawyer friend and will come with more info if told that this would be OK.

Still smelling very strongly today, basically unchanged, almost one week after applying the glue, particularly at the junction between the two pieces of plaster. We have found an empty tube of the glue and it still smells very strongly, even if it was emptied and placed outside one week ago. Which is very concerning. It could be that the fumes will be released from the plaster board for quite a while.

We have decided to wait one more week (still cannot use the room).

If it does come to us having to remove the plaster on that part of the wall (since we do not want to take any risks with our child), will this be difficult? Are there any problems we can run into? Do you advise to do that rather soon (so the glue can be removed more easily)?

And if we get to plaster or render the wall, how long do we need to wait until we paint?

Thank you

16. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

Well, the smell is still here two weeks after using the glue

we are strongly considering redoing that part of the wall. since time is a big factor, we are considering dot and dabing that part of the wall. But and I would please need some advice.

1. how long after fixing the board can it be skimmed?
    2. how long after skimming can it be painted? (again, the wall is next to the window and facing east)

Also, if we go for this, what would to recommend for "gluing" the board to the wall that would be less chemical?

Thank you very much

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

18. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

Thank you very much.

Would using adhesive similar to the skimming material be bad (as we are really concerned now about using any chemicals)?
    Also, can the board be skimmed right after installing (within minutes)? or we need hours/days in between?

Thank you again

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can usually skim within hours with D&D, it all depends on thickness of adhesive.

20. maria2017

maria2017 New Member

Thank you.