Gluing small cloakroom basin to wall

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Horris, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Horris

Horris New Member

I have a very small cloakroom basin that needs to go into a waterproofed vault.

This is a resin basin 500 x 145 mm x 90 mm high with NO pedestal.
    http://www.benesan.de/?mcat=1&cat=mineralpour&prdct=37&lang=en

It is meant to be fixed into the wall along the 500mm side however this wall is a tanked (Delta Membrane), then skim plastered and then tiled wall. Delta Membrane highly recommend NOT to fix through the wall and avoid wherever possible (there is a very messy solution with this which i am trying to avoid though).

I can possibly fix it on the 145mm side as I have a studded false wall which is also housing the cistern to my toilet.

So the question is - would it be OK to fix along the short length and use a glue along the long length to the tiled wall? And what glues would be recommended?

As an additional option (although preferred to avoid it) I was also thinking of fixing an L shaped bracket to the back to the backside as well.

2. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Difficult to advise really. Normally would fix with a basin fixing kit screwed into the wall and sealed with silicone. I always use Dow Corning 485. Silicone only, I wouldn't risk it

Horris likes this.
  3. meady

meady Member

If you had a pedestals would say yes as that can take the weight. You will end up leaning on it and ripping halfthe wall off with the basin.

Horris likes this.
  4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just fill screws holes up with silicon

Horris likes this.
  5. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

I wouldn't recommend it unless it's your own house and know not to put too much weight on it...however, we do use a product called sealfix... The guy came into our plumbers merchants, put a brick in a bucket of water, put sealfix on a door handle then squeezed the 2 together (underwater) for 5mins then lifted the brick out by the handle

Horris likes this.
  6. Plumberbish

Horris likes this.
  7. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I would go with CGN 's recommendation , at the end of the day if you have siliconed the screw holes you will get no problem unless your cloakroom happens to be inside a submarine! :D:D

Horris likes this.
  8. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

Might be worth using stainless steel screws though.

Horris and CGN like this.
  9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

:D:D
    Abandon ship, the hulls been breached!! :D

Horris likes this.
  10. Plumberbish

Ah I only just realised what you meant by siliconing the screw holes lol...I thought you meant fill the holes in the back of the basin with silicone to fix it to the wall! Sorry I've not been sleeping much...got a 3week old baby!

Horris and CGN like this.
  11. Horris

Horris New Member

I appreciate everyone's advice and responses. the guys selling me the basin was confident it wouldn't be a problem gluing it to the wall..... I wasn't convinced and you have all helped me ignore his advice :)

12. Plumberbish

Haha! Ask the people who fit them, not the people selling them...you'll get 2very different answers ;)

CGN likes this.