Glulam Ring Beam

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Andyveg, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Andyveg

Andyveg New Member

Hi There
    I'm building a small wooden cabin 3m x8m which I aim to base on a glulam ring beam of the same dimensions. It must conform to mobile home rules , part of which mean it must be able to be lifted ( in theory) using a crane and cradle hence, the need for the ring beam.
    As the structure is wooden I estimate it will weigh no more than 2 tons so as a safety margin I would like to double that figure to 4 tons.
    I aim to suppourt the ring beam using a number of plinth system type foundations each of which has a capacity to carry a load of 5 tons.
    Can anybody please help me with calculating the dimensions of the ring beam needed, the number of plinth footings needed and their best positioning.
    For information I don't want to use steel nor a recycled mobile home chasis and whilst I know I should probably use a professional to help me design it I would like to learn something and have a little fun along the way .
    Many thanks
    Andy

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You need a loading table for glulam beams, if you used 7" x 2" wooden joists at 400mm centres you would need 4 bluzons on the 8M length.

3. Andyveg

Andyveg New Member

Hi Chippie !
    Thanks for replying , I was going to span 3m 7x2" joists within the glulam frame using joist hangers? I'm not sure what bluzons are tho? I have been unable to find a loading table for glulam beams also.

4. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Andyveg likes this.
  5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

That's obviously not their name and I'm buggered if my raddled brain will come up with the right name despite using them loads of times.
    These do the same job and may be better for your use.

http://www.wallbarn.com/products/roof-and-terrace-finishes/support-pads-for-timber-decking/

Andyveg likes this.
  6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

7. Andyveg

Andyveg New Member

Thanks Paul and Chippie for the beam capacity tables! Now to try and figure them out .Not sure which table to use I assume it would be the floor live load chart ?

I like the product you link to Chippie but I'm after a more substantial building so I'm going to use https://www.swiftfoundations.co.uk/swift_plinth/. I wonder how many I need to use ?