Golf mk5 showing emission control light

Discussion in 'Car and Van Talk' started by Uzi, Dec 5, 2014.

1. Uzi

Uzi New Member

I bought a car last week and is now showing Emmision control light, dont know what might be the cause as the car drives perfectly fine with no performance issue, I was driving it down Cambridge dual carriageway in 90mph and it was heavily raining if that helps

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Could be a number of things best get a diagnostics check, did you buy the car with a warranty?

3. Ray Retired

Ray Retired Active Member

Heavy rain + 90mph = You killed the cat!

Fortunately no other road users!... Ease off the gas Uzi, life is short enough!

Uzi likes this.
  4. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

As above, plenty of things it could be, I'd give it a general check over for anything obvious, loose or damaged wiring etc, could just be a faulty sensor.
    If you bought from trade then take it back for them to look at.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Get yourself an OBD2 reader Plug it into the cars diagnostic port. Should bring up at least one (possibly more fault codes) then look the fault codes up on the internet. Could just be a faulty lambda sensor. ;);)

6. Uzi

Uzi New Member

Bought it of a friend so no warranty I m afraid

7. Uzi

Uzi New Member

I have booked an appointment with vw Cambridge hopefully they will find the issue, I m guessing if its not making any noises or misfire then it should be alright to drive.

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The internet is full of pages about this problem, many cases can not be fixed, even by VW, this is the trouble with today's cars and all the technology needed to appease the suits in Europe.

I have a friend with a mini cooper with a ABS light on, every component relating to the ABS system has been changed, but still the light shines, again a common problem with a over complicated car.