Good gloss no undercoat

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by CandleSniffer, Apr 13, 2015.

1. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

I am repairing a roof-line. Replacing timber fascias for plastics, some of the rafter ends on the eaves will need to be cut back and then extended with fresh treated timber. Other rafter ends are sound though the gloss is flaking away. I will also be replacing the barge ends with new treated timber.

I was hoping I could find a paint which did not require under coat suitable for both over painting existing gloss rafter ends and painting new treated timber.

Am I asking too much from a paint, the finish wont need to look pretty, as it will be covered with plastics. I just want to protect the existing and new timber as best I am able while I have access to the roof-line.

Could I use Masonry paint? I expect to have a fair bit left over from painting the walls.

Thanks for your time

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

DA will say yes.

3. :D

To date I have used masonry paint - with 100% success - on wrought iron (staircase), fibreglass (old kit car and right now on a boat's steering console) rough sawn and smooth planed timber.

And on masonry.

Only on the latter is it showing any signs of flaking... :(

Candle, I don't know how much protection it'll provide to timber, but the new fascias I fitted on the south-facing side of ma hooise (using ogee skirting board, sprayed with clear timber preserver and then painted with smooth black masonry paint) is still good after 5 years.

I really must give it another coat...

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you are covering it in upvc, just smother with wood preserver. Allows it to breathe and air more. Remember ventilation. Covering with more paint then plastic is not helpful. Moisture must not be kept in.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

:) It was reading DAs reply's to other threads that made me think it might be a suitable option.

6. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

Thanks DA, which timber preservative did you use?

7. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

Hello HA, thanks for the reply, I did not realise Timber preservative allowed the wood to breath. Do you have any recommendations for suitable preserve?

Venting will be provided by GP vented board and 10mm over eaves vent strip, both continuous. Though I might be able to squeeze a 25mm over vent strip in depending on how I fit the soffit support.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

Hello KIAB, thanks for the suggestion looks like good stuff. I am a little concerned that the

" unique formula erodes naturally over time so that when redecorating is required a simple clean and recoat will ensure optimum protection is again achieved"

I am hoping that what ever I use, if not subject to the weather will last a few decades. Data sheet for the Sadolin implies this will break down regardless of conditions exposed to. Definitely unique formulae, planned obsolescence for paint, makes me weep, what is the world coming to :)

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Any finish used outside whether paint,varnish, wood preserver will deteriorate over time due to the effects of the weather, uv, etc.
    Got some panels here painted with Sadolin Woodshield, was done nearly 5 years ago, it looks as good as the day it was put on.

11. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

Hey KIAB

Appreciate your suggestion and I guess I might have seemed ungrateful in my original reply.
    Here are my thoughts on the Sadolin product and why I would not use it.
    You are right to say any paint subjected to the element's will over time suffer deterioration. UV playing a large role in the breakdown.
    However the wood I wish to paint, if I do my job correctly will not be subject to the elements including UV. At most it will be subject to atomspheric humidity.
    Lets say I use the Sandtex masonry paint. It has the "potential" to last a few decades with no maintenance.
    Lets say I use the Sadolin, it will fail to do its job within a given period of time as it is designed to breakdown, regardless of the conditions. It does not have the "potential" to last decades, by design.
    Somehow the marketers at Sadolin have turned this point of failure into a selling point.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I wouldn't take the statement too literally. Your fascia(timber) won't be expoased to the elements. It will remain dry and ventilated. It won't be subjected as you already know, to the sun or the rain. I would suggest then, that the 'potential' would be to last 3 or 4 times longer than stated at least.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

'Lets say I use the Sandtex masonry paint. It has the "potential" to last a few decades with no maintenance.'

Decades, I doubt it as it, like most good quality masonry paints Sandtex carries a BBA approval of up to 15 years or in your speak 1.5 decades.

Handyandy's recommendation of using a wood preserver on the new timber is probably as good as it gets for sensible advice.

14. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

Hello Andy
    Your probably right, so rather than guess I will shoot them an mail and see what they say.
    My concern was that the product is chemically designed to beak down regardless of conditions it is subject to.
    Will post the answer if I do get a reply from them.

15. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

Thanks for the input Astra
    My point was not that Masonry paint would out perform a dedicated wood preserver.
    It was that a 15 year Masonry paint would out perform a hybrid paint preserver that is designed to break down in 8 years.
    However, the Sandtex is breathable, has good adhesion properties, can be applied with no key and is UV stable. 15 years is for an exposed surface. The wood I intend to paint will not be exposed to UV or weather. So I think it reasonable to expect the Sandtex might last a few decades.

At the moment until I get a reply from Sadolin regarding the nature of how and why there product breaks down I am inclined to go with the Sandtex.

We do both agree that Handy gives great advice.

16. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

Had a reply from Sadolin yesterday afternoon.

My original e-mail
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hello

I have a question regarding Sadolin Woodshield Superior Flexible Paint For Wood.

Could you please tell me the process by which the paint breaks down or erodes.

Is it dependant on weather conditions, sunlight; or is it designed to beak down in a given period of time regardless of exposure?

If the product was applied to a surface that was shielded from the elements and UV, how long could I expect it to last before failure of the surface coating begins to occur?

Thank you for your time
    I look forward to your reply

Best regards
    ##########
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The reply
    Dear ##########

The Woodshield is a microporous coating and will over a period of time erode away, whereby the coating will lighten in colour, there will be a reduction in sheen, and a loss of water repellence this is dependent on how exposed the timber is, the more exposed the quicker the erosion. The product can last up to 8 years.

Regards, Andrea

Andrea Edmundson
    Retail & Trade Brand Champion
    Crown Paints Ltd
    Crown House

17. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is it only candles you are sniffing?

18. CandleSniffer

CandleSniffer New Member

On occasion I can be found sniffing packets discreetly, was there sum thing you wanted to share Chips?

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The Sadolin people have told you nothing more than is written on the Data sheet that you can view online. Me thinks you worry way too much, cover it with 2 coats of Thompsons waterseal cover it over and forget it....lifes too short!

20. proby

proby Active Member

Agree with Astra your worrying too much. My house was built in the thirtys and the facias are original. Just put some plastic ones over the top to cut down on the maintenance and smarten them up but despite never being painted on the back of the wood there was no rot at all. Same when we replaced a couple of door frames the lintels were wood but not being in the weather they were as good as the day they went in.