Good Quality Crimps

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by pcspike, Jan 4, 2014.

1. pcspike

pcspike Member

Do you happen to know to what extent that this type of connector can be used in regards to the regs?

http://www.thediyworld.co.uk/

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

As long as you use them in accordance with the manufacturers instructions as regards current ratings etc. they comply with the Regulations 100%.

3. ejj

ejj Member

The biggest problem with crimps is that the tool wears and looses crimping action.
    I worked in an industry where ALL crimp tools were tested every 3 months, any failures we had to consider the ramifications. Same as with 'Calibration' of test equipment, how often do people check their Torque Wrenches, as an Ex Quality Engineer I believe in all forms of Calibration.
    Most Lecky's using a 'proving unit' or some means of testing.

John

4. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

As UP said above they're good for the job.

I hadn't read this FAQ sheet before I posted above, but it says it all. My noting the fact they have a helical spring steel insert was by looking at them. The BS EN 60998 I got from the label on the box.

I did state in my above post that they are calssed as 'maintenance free' which the FAQ sheet says they aren't - so access is needed for the JBs that contain them.

All bourne out from the FAQ sheet below:

http://www.trendcomms.com/fileserver/ideal2011/files/Wire_Connector_Q&A_Sheet.pdf

They certainly have their place in the toolbox. JP may have time to solder, but not all my customers allow me that luxury ;)

5. wally

wally Screwfix Select

These wire connectors perhaps fairly new in the uk but I fitted some canadian skirting heaters must be 15 years ago & they used them in them.

6. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Wally - They've used Wire Nuts (as they call them) across the pond for decades. A bit like we used to use Scruits.

Don't know when Scruits went out of fashion here, but it must have been 35-40 years at least ago I reckon judging by the age of installs I find them in.

7. pcspike

pcspike Member

Had a look at the different sizes available but wonder how you decide which to go for joining two 2.5’s together for example or other sizes?