grab adhesives

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by scotscraig, Jun 29, 2016.

1. scotscraig

scotscraig New Member

I need to use an adhesive to permanently fix rough sawn timber (tanalised) externally to a sectional concrete garage. Its a 3m length of timber 100mm x 20mm thick. As this will be exposed to all elements can anyone recommend the best grab adhesive for the job?
    I was going to fix with screws but theres too many reinforcing rods within the sections.

2. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Dovetail :)

3. Dovetail? Wha's tha'?

Anyhoo, Scots, yea cannae beat Everbuild StixAll - it is awesome. (There are other similar products on the market too.)

What will this timber be doing?

4. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Come on DA ! A dovetail joint !! a man of your calibre must have at some point attempted to chisel one of these long before "Stixall" was invented. A wee dab of PVA if it was going to do some work.
    Stixall , Evo, and the others are great for us who can't do dovetails etc.

simpo likes this.
  5. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

I use pinkgrip. I have no idea whether it's the best, but it seems pretty good, it's cheap and exterior.

I can't imagine how good StixAll must be to inspire awe, but pinkgrip is probably not awesome. Dunno, maybe it is and adhesive just doesn't inspire that level of emotion in me.

I'm not sure what your job looks like, but without a mechanical fixing I'd be slightly concerned that water would get in and a frost could blow the adhesive interface (where the adhesive meets the thing it's sticking to). But maybe I'd be getting concerned over nothing, and if you can't get a screw in then you can't. Any exterior adhesive has to be much more effective than nothing.

6. Oh, that type of Dovetail?

Nice idea - I've chust been outside trying to dovetail a flat plank on to a concrete surface. Completely wrecked all my chisels... :rolleyes:

:p

Davmac likes this.
  7. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

Maybe you should have tried a rock dove tail?

Davmac likes this.
  8. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

What ? you were outside in this weather ? :eek: :)

Hilti hit Chem fix or any chem fix, if a metal collar (joist hanger style) fixed to the timber with wood screws and metal collar chem fixed into the crete end should do a bit of a job in all types of weather
    But then again not seeing the job..........

9. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

:(
    Or new for wood you could use a twig welder ;)

btiw likes this.
  10. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Needs to be fixed with screws. It will fall off in a few years using glue.
    Multifix screws are good.

If you know the reinforcing cover (which should be at least 30mm) then you can select a screw.
    CAn be hole plugged if you don't want the screws showing.

11. btiw

btiw Well-Known Member

In this weather? Perhaps DA was trying a floating tenon.

12. scotscraig

scotscraig New Member

Many thanks Dovetail. will check out the StixAll. The timber will be used for gable fascia. The concrete panels are only 45mm thick and would have to drill all over the place to find the reinforcing !!!!

13. He called me 'Dovetail'... :(

Davmac likes this.
  14. Davmac

Davmac Active Member

Pretty sure you've been called worse ;)

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  15. :eek:

And that's chust on here... :(

(Man, do I care... :) )

16. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

It will fall off in a few years using glue.

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Quite possible you may be able to glue it, AND hang it over the top of the section with hooked plates/timber straps! The straps would take the weight, the glue would keep it against the wall.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I stuck battens to my garage wall to hold my timber rack up using pinkfill about 6 years ago and it's still holding fine.

20. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Inside?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really