Grade 1 Listed hoo haa

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by TP&N, Jul 4, 2016.

1. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Been to reinstate 2 switch drops on a refurbished wall lathe and plaster old one was full of wood worm and about to collapse.

Simple so I thought, carried out the required tests all good to go, except the heritage woman is insisting there done exactly as they were.

Surface wired ok so far except she wants the old style buckle clips using (probably got some in the shed somewhere) and the old round wooden pattress and switch refitting.

Now the wooden pattress as I pointed out was also full of woodworm plus one is split, I know a guy that can make new pattress blocks but the main problem is the switches don’t meet BS EN 61995-1 and I pointed this out but she’s insistent they go back in and after a bit of a heated word or 3 she seems to think her word overrules BS7671.

Now the guy who owns the place told me the sparky who removed the switches had exactly the same argument and walked off the job.

I did wonder if some sort of official notice off the heritage people might hold up if the brown smelly stuff ever hit the fan.

Any ideas much appreciated.

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

KIAB likes this.
  3. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Just been looking at those and sent an e-mail to the heritage see what they say ?

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Hand her a bunch of candles can't get more original than that!:rolleyes:

FatHands likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Comlec likes this.
  6. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

See if she will sign the design bit of the install cert, bet she wont.

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I expect she will prob. change them back once your gone anyway.

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I get similar in the contracts I work with sometimes - got one going now where consultants are insisting the right way of doing something is actually the wrong way. Comes down to design responsibility. Agree try and get her to issue a written instruction or sign the design part of the certification. Or possibly http://www.bromleighs.com/store/sockets-switches/bakelite-switch-collection but they ain't cheap.

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

The old switches cannot go back in - best to find some retro style switches which look like the old ones but comply with BS EN 61995-1..if the lady doesn't agree then just charge for the work you have done - cap off and make safe where necessary, and say au revoir to the lady.

10. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

An historical building near me underwent major work, original switches have been reused, but all switching done at SELV with 12v relays.

11. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Be a lot easier if we opted for ELV control in other properties too.

12. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

E-mail from Heritage ........because its only the reinstatement of existing cable and switch it does not need to meet current regs and no certification is required.
    What bliddy planet are these people on ***

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Don't the regs say something like only sockets and switches confirming to the current BS are to be used on replacement or words to that affect?

14. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

thought that only applys if say you pull out of a wall the conduit cable and attached **** (switches sockets etc) not removed or disconected etc) ie just a replaster i thought it was ok to reinstate what was taken out (but not severed) i maybe wrong tho.

15. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

The switches have been disconnected and the cable unclipped from the wall its a surface install.
    The problem is the switches don't meet current regs who carries the can if it all goes **** up.

16. Lectrician

If that's what they want, do it, but clearly state the departure on the deviations box of your MWC. Ideally get them to counter sign.

17. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Perhaps......

Dear Ms Heritage.

Thank you for your email. I confirm

1)the existing switches you are insisting are replaced do not conform to current British safety standards, but I will reinstate them on your instruction.
    2)Your email confirms you accept the risk and liability should any harm occur to any person in the future relating to these obsolete components.
    3)I will attach your email as reference in the design deviations section of the test certificate.

Love and kisses.

TP&N, Beefstu and KIAB like this.
  18. Lectrician

Perfect ;-)

19. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I can see this becoming a nightmare,for one no matter what heritage say if it all goes tu then the spark is going to carry the can.At the end of the day in an electrical situation the electrician is the expert,if you install something that isn't safe,no matter how much heritage insist they want it then if shock comes to court case I'm afraid it's you in the dock!
    There are however several ways around it, 1) refuse point blank to fit the switches and walk away, 2) insist they use a copy switch that does comply,there are several companies that make them, or 3) complete the job without the switches (block the ends) note on sheet that switches not fitted and tell heritage to fit them,putting it in writing that THEY assume all legal responsibility for any incidents arising out of use of said switches.
    It's no wonder so many old buildings fall into disrepair with lunatics like that woman calling the shots,there are loads of situations where it would appear that they enjoy putting obstacles in the way,surely any building is better restored to 90% of how it was than not restored at all. I think that is why there are so many fires on old listed buildings,they get bought,the developers get so much aggro from heritage that they leave the building unoccupied and usually within a year or so it spontaneously combusts.
    There was an old girls school near me,it was a listed building and the council sold it,the buyers wanted to turn it into appartments and keep the facade as it was originally.However the do gooders objected at every turn and the legal stuff was costing the owners a fortune,they left the building alone and did nothing,vandals got in and one night there was a massive fire.The building was so badly damaged it had to be demolished,the developers now had a piece of land that they could do what they wanted with,and within a year a lovely old building had been replaced with some modern appartments,a bit convenient the timing of the fire I thought.

KIAB likes this.
  20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016