Grade 1 Listed hoo haa

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by TP&N, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

BS 7671 is clear that departures must afford at least the same degree of safety as compliance. It is intended to be used with new technologies etc. which could not have been included in BS7671. It isn't there to carry out an installation to a lesser standard than BS7671 requires.

nffc and leesparkykent like this.
  2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

I would really have to say I think even a signed letter would have little meaning if the client sued for any subsequent damage caused by you putting the old switches back. You put them back knowing full well the risks, I don't see why it would matter a jot if the client did as well. They aint the expert. I mean it's not like you can murder someone if they give you written consent to do it. You would still be done for murder.

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Problem is that 1) doesn't help the client if his sparks keep walking away and just passes the buck to someone else along with all the additional hassle of someone having to finish the job. 2) is the obvious solution and heritage should jump at this and everyone is happy 3) is the same as 1) just passes the buck to some other poor sparky to finish off.

I would expect that my suggested letter or similar would cause Ms Heritage to seek a second opinion because no way will she want even a hint of liability against her name, even if it's a moot point whether liability can be transferred like this. The modern reproduction is such an obvious solution, that common sense should prevail eventually. At the end of the day, it's a switch. BS or not, the old bakelite ones are pretty robust, and if fitted properly I would have thought would be pretty risk free, especially when fitted to an RCD protected circuit. Although wrong in principle to refit the old one, if it's in working condition, how big is the risk in real-world? and no, that's a genuine question not rhetorical

4. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

there should be a pat style test for old items to be reuseable

5. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

TP&N:

Sorry to have to tell you this:

BS EN 61995-1 concerns connection of luminaires. ie pendants, downlight connectors, clik-roses. Not switches.

And.. those round dolly switches with wooden pattresses are still made, compliant to BS EN 60669-1, which is the BS relating switches.

6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

I would contact Historic England direct and ask for their view of rewiring a Grade 1 building. After all, in many historic buildings the wiring is a very late alteration to the building - think castles. So, brass and wood and clipped cable may make it look old it isn't really of "historic interest". Take a look at the fire detection system and see how old that looks.

7. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Leather buckets and a stirrup pump from the well.

TP&N and KIAB like this.
  8. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

I've done lots of work in Grade 2 without any problems. Any road after a chat with the owner and his good lady they have told me to do whats required to meet regs and the wife asked would it be possible to put a dimmer in place of a normal switch so thats the way i'm going and stuff the Heritage.

9. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Yep you right its me looking on the wrong page but these are the original open contact switch remember they flashed in the dark lol. I agree you can get look alike that do comply.

10. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Yep, I love finding them in a property out of curiosity sake but hate working on them. 'Modern' switches I'll happily open up live and poke about in, but those ones... never.

11. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

We were still using them and the old 5 and 15 amp round pin sockets back in 1966 when i started me apprenticeship It were 13th Edition back then lol .

Last November I came across an old Reyrole screw in fuse board still in use.

12. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

One s*dding annoying thing about working on old listed properties is the two weeks between each layer of lime plaster. And then waiting for the s*dding heritage officer to come along and say 'carry on'. I spent about a year on one refurb job that would normally take about two months. On price. Since then it's 'cost+' pricing only.

13. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be a departure though.

Risteard likes this.
  14. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Hats off to you. Words on a screen don't convey age and wisdom, do they?
    My step-dad (whose fault it is for me doing this job, gawd bless 'im), was an apprentice in 10th Edition times (he started 1936). You've still got a few years of age and few decades of electrical experience over me though... ;)

leesparkykent likes this.
  15. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Seen some changes that's for sure, some good some bad and some just plain stupid. And got a few burnt screwdriver's to prove it haha

leesparkykent likes this.
  16. nffc

nffc Active Member

I am sorry but this whole thread is a car crash. We are talking back boxes for crying out loud. Just fit the wooden ones as requested and maybe see if fire proof baffle boxes should also be installed as a way of mitigating risk.

17. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

All sorted ...mini trunking down the wall back box and dimmer as customer requested.
    Customer happy and most important the good lady of the house is well chuffed, plus more work in September Factory Extension.

18. gareth10

gareth10 New Member

KIAB likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

20. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

They would have to appear on the schedule of testing as non complying, I agree that the lady who wants the old stuff replacing should be asked to sign a disclaimer, if she won't go to her boss. Put them on the spot. Do it by letter or E mail and have a letter from them to cover the final outcome.