granite worktops

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by gyprocjim, Jan 27, 2016.

1. gyprocjim

gyprocjim Member

Im a joiner to trade and occasionally do the odd kitchen. Mostly the prebuilt type with and usually with laminate worktops. Im doing my own kitchen soon and was intending to have granite worktops fitted. I don't have any experience with granite worktops. Ive since been told by someone who helps a joiner occasionally that are nothing but problems ,,cracking and marking etc etc and don't go near them.

Ive not heard this before and just wondering what others experience is those who have them or have experience with them

thanks for any info

JiM

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And staining.

Don't laugh, concrete worktops are becoming popular lately, over side of the pond they are very common.

Available in many colours & finishes, matt,satin & gloss,etc, once sealed they will give granite a run for their money.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. gyprocjim

gyprocjim Member

thanks for reply…they look pretty cool in the photographs the more i look..….. I have heard of them,,not seen them though and no experience of them whatsoever.I will check them out as well…what thicknesses do they come in as would like something thicker than the normal 30 mm granite worktop if i could get ,,nearer to the 38 mm conventional laminate worktop,,,

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Usually around 40mm, nearly same weight as granite 18.75 pounds per square foot, you can get concrete worktop poured with a thicker front edge, to give the impression of a thicker overall worktop.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I am waiting for people to start producing Terrazo worktops - remember the floor you used to get in cinemas and hospitals. Very hard wearing, stain resistant can be made to measure they would be perfect work surfaces

[​IMG][​IMG]

vivaro man likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Terrazo worktops they are available already:), they look fantastic, just Google, can't post linky, BT outrage affecting my internet.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Really, haven't seen them but just made the mistake - told the wife :( she is googling like mad.

Its bad at the moment she wants a new kitchen and there are 3 more to make before hers, let alone all the other work, think I will start wearing the ear defenders at night

9. Terry Sampsin

Terry Sampsin New Member

If you go to http://www.bettakitchensonline.co.uk They do quartz worktops as well. I'm sure if you send them the required measurements they'll be happy to give you a quote. Best thing is they only require a £250 deposit and take the balance once the job is complete! Got mine done before xmas, looks brilliant!