Green oak sleepers - which saw to use for accurate cuts???

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jerseyoak, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Jerseyoak

Jerseyoak New Member

I work a lot with green oak sleepers and one thing I struggle with is to cut accurate square ends. Does anyone know of a saw that will cut at least most of the way through an oak sleeper squarely? This means that the depth of cut needs to be at least 130mm.

The next consideration is the cost. It needs to be reasonably priced, not cheap but reasonable. I would prefer a radial arm saw as it is easier to move the timbers around on a flat bed but mitre saw may work too.

Any suggestions?

2. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

use a circular saw

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

A chainsaw. And yes, you can get stands to set them square.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

4. chip off the block

yeah a circular would be good with a fine cutting blade/cain

5. chip off the block

sorry meant chainsaw

6. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Chainsaw works for me. A Radial arm would not be portable and you would need a large one so cost would be quite high. One of the big Maffel beam saws is another option if you want to cut on site but again they are not cheap.

Jason

7. Jerseyoak

Jerseyoak New Member

Thanks for the advice, those that have replied with circular saw. Can you suggest which one, giving a balance between depth of cut, power and cost?

Also, if anyone knows of a chainsaw make that can come with a stand that would be great. Nothing I have needs to be portable as it would all be on a bench not on site. So again, any suggestions on radial saws etc would be useful.

8. chip off the block

get an old wadkin bursgreen radial arm saw

9. chip off the block

[Edited by: admin]

10. Measure2cut1

Measure2cut1 New Member

When I cut some sleepers 7 years ago, I just went round with my 180mm circular saw on max depth and then used a hand saw to cut the remaining bit. If you have a 225mm saw, you should not need to use a hand saw.

PS have you tried lifting a sleeper onto a bench single handed. Much easier to do it on the ground and then roll the sleeper over to cut from the other side.

M2C1

11. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Most of the landscapers I know use chainsaws and do a very neat job too.

12. CRS - Ross

CRS - Ross New Member

I don't think one of these would be perfect, but then I've never used on, but it gives you somewhere to start, if you are going to go down the chainsaw road *

A decent chainsaw, keen eye and a bit of practice and you should be able to do it freehand.

Ross

[Edited by: admin]

13. Jerseyoak

Jerseyoak New Member

Thank you to all the replies. One more thing, I make furniture with the oak and not landscaping. Therefore, when I require accuracy on the cuts I mean no more than 1mm out. Therefore, no matter how good you are with a chainsaw, it would never be within 1mm.

I have looked at the links posted, useful, thanks. Does anyone know of any specific Radial Arm Saws. I am c0onsidering the Makita 16-5/16" Circular Saw (With Electric Brake, Model 5402NA see link http://www.makita.com/menu.php?pg=productdet&tag=5402NA

Can anyone offer more advise than already offered. No disrespect to some of the advice given but I have researched this a lot and there is little on the market for accurate cutting for over 130mm cuts at 90' at a medium budget.

Thanks

14. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

u tryed mafell stuff ?

15. chip off the block

if you are going for a radial arm saw i would get a 2nd hand wadkin machine

16. chip off the block

17. jasonb

jasonb New Member

Not sure of the costs but what about a log saw The same company do Maffel as I suggested earlier but their big circular saws can be over £1000.

JAson

18. uncle albert

uncle albert New Member

when i worked in Australia we had a BIG pull saw, bench mounted that I used to cut all my 150 x150 merbau posts. that thing would have done the job no probs, cant remember who made it. it was a bit of a big mother though. sort of thing you would may find an old one heavy one on ebay.
    Mafell do a 185 circ thats 185mm cut, massive blade but i think its 2k. nice stuff though.

19. chip off the block

20. lamello

lamello New Member

Your problem my friend is threefold. Saws that cut over 135mm in one hit are not made for someone on a medium budget. If you want to cut this size accurately you will be looking at spending around the 2k mark. As others have said Mafell make these kind of saws but they are aimed at oak framers etc who will happily invest in what they need. Mafell make a chainsaw with an attachment for cutting square but at around 2.5k and they make a circ with a 450 blade but its a two man bit of kit. Radial arm wise you will be looking at a few quid for a saw with this capacity. Your second problem is why do you need to work to a 1mm tolerance on green oak. You need to allow the oak to move. I had someone come in my workshop wanting a green oak feature coffee table making with a sliding section in the centre. making the table would have been no problem but as soon as the central heating hit the table it would have possibly made the sliding section unworkable. Thirdly the mechanics of cutting deadon square on a sleeper will be a challenge as your fence will be registering on a surface that is far from dead flat so your cut may wander. My experince of rustic green oak fuurniture is that 1 or 2mm here or there isnt a problem but perhaps I have misunderstood your situation