Greenstar 24i. Sealed system. Pressure loss.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by pjzxr, Jun 14, 2016.

1. pjzxr

pjzxr New Member

Hi. Apologies if this has been covered before, if so please direct me to thread.
    Anyway, I have a sealed system, running Greenstar 24i, with an Albion SS tank. Both red and white expansion vessels, as we also have a wood burning back boiler for winter use.
    Problem,. IT loses pressure over a very short space of time. Both EVs checked for water on air side, they're fine, and both EVs charged to correct pressure ( 1 and 3 bar ).
    there was a leak from one PRV, changed that, then another one started, changed that, now no leaks there. Checked to entire house, no visible leaks in pipeworks or rads, although some pipes are buried in a screed under the floor.
    By short time loss, I mean from 1 bar to nothing in less than an hour.
    Aaaargh. Stuck now, tried everything I can think of, followed half a dozen fault finding pages. Stuck.
    Am I missing something obvious.? I even wondered if the heat exchanger might be cracked, but surely that would produce a lot of steam when it starts up ?
    Is there a PRV inside the boiler that I've missed ? If so , where does it vent to ?
    Anyway, thanks in advance for your brilliant insights, and simple yet effective solutions to the problem.
    Paul

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You probably wouldn't see the water evaporate from a leaking heat exchanger.

Sometimes when heat exchangers fail,by leaking through condensate.

A failed heat exchanger would be high on my list with it being a WB boiler, & it's a expensive repair:eek:.

How old is the boiler.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016