Grohe euphoria 27296 / Megaflow low pressure problem

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chess21, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Chess21

Chess21 New Member

Hello

I was wondering if someone might be able to shed light on a baffling issue.

I have a megaflow system in my house which works perfectly - good strong flow
    upstairs and downstairs. I'm getting my bathroom renovated and a Grohe Europhia handheld and shower head has been
    installed. However the flow of water is not high pressured at all. My previous shower head (a £30 non branded handheld shower head)
    had a really powerful flow.

The flow in the rest of the house remains strong, but the grohe shower system produces a low flow.
    Is there a possibility that the Grohe system has some form of "flow restrictor" fitted into it?

Any ideas would be great.

Many thanks in advance.

2. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

If you have the rainshower head then its not designed to be high pressure, just high volume at a low pressure - like rain! :)

3. Chess21

Chess21 New Member

Thanks captain :)

That makes sense, but the problem is that I fitted my old £30 bon-branded shower head into the grohe system to
    see if I would receive a better flow, and it was only marginally better (very tiny improvement) I then removed the shower head altogether water would pour out so fast when I turned it on)

Hence I'm confused - a £300 shower system works with lower pressure than my old £30 system - surely the Grohe system must be restricting flow to the heads?

Thanks

4. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Most modern showers are designed to minimise water consumption.

Of course there may be a blockage somewhere? :) Difficult to say without seeing it.

5. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

There may well be restrictors in the inlets - ask the installer.

6. Chess21

Chess21 New Member

Many thanks all for your quick replies.

I thought I'd share some updates;

- I've checked with Grohe who have mentioned that there are no restrictors in their product
    - What I've been told is that the pipe in the wall connecting the shower system to the megaflow is 22mm
    - However, the actual pipe within the shower system is only 15mm, causing the flow of water to slow down once it reaches the 15mm pipe from the 22mm pipe (in my old £30 pound shower head, the pipe was 22mm, however under new legislation, all new shower systems will have 15mm pipes to help save water whilst showering)

I'm a little dissapointed because a megaflow system is expensive to install, and I was looking forward to having a strong flow in my bathroom because of it once I installed a £350 Grohe unit. However, after learning this new information, it seems that I wont :-( (unless anyone knows of any setting I can change on the megaflow system to further boost the flow of water to the pipes?)

Thanks

7. Chess21

Chess21 New Member

Hello All,

Just a quick update incase anyone is interested or has a similar problem;

- a flow restrictor was present in the actual shower head which I have removed - this has led to more water coming out of the shower head.
    - I believe 2 more flow restrictors are present within the shower thermostatic valve - I'll be opening this up tomorrow to check.

Thanks

8. Jane B

Jane B New Member

Hi chess21,

I was wondering if you had any luck with getting your shower faster by removing flow restrictors? We have just fitted the same shower (but with the overhead drench head too) in our upstairs bathroom and although pressure everywhere else in the house is fantastic (including downstairs shower), pressure through the grohe is not great. Would be great if we could improve it by removing flow restrictors.

Thanks

9. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Flow restrictors are required only when regs such as code homes & 17k etc are imposed by local building control, a flow calc chart is used to meet consumption per person, check you have balanced supply's, some heads come with restrictors so change head, I would say back feed though or change head

10. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

22 to 15 causing what? Some bath/shower valves have a Eco button on it to press & turn for full flow, if you blending valve under bath take it off as not for use with thermo taps? Are all stop cocks etc fully open