Groundfloor damp

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by handymansw, Jun 26, 2016.

1. handymansw

handymansw New Member

Hi all,

I have redecorated this room straight after the purchase of this property around 2 years. At that time I have noticed that this wall witch leads to the garden outside the house and to the neighbour, as it is a semi-detached house, got damp at the original wall paper. I have removed the wall paper and painted but the issue obviously come back.

Few photos attached as I am divided where to start to look for this issue. Some people advised me to check if the outside wall near the door edge area got a damp proof membrane at it's foundations. Others mentioned that the rendering could be the issue, however the rendering outside does not shows any suggestions or indication of damp, others suggested that the garden wall pointing near the area could be the issue. Some people told me about and specific type of small stones that are used against damp.

In my case this issue seems very localised to a very specific spot and at the other side of door and all the room is fine . Any suggestions how to tackle this or where to start would be much appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Is it a suspended timber floor...

If so, are their air bricks back & front of house to allow a through air flow.

3. The render could be bridging the dpc,probably slate.
    Does the garden wall have a dpc as it seems to be tied into the main building.

4. handymansw

handymansw New Member

Good question! The whole living room is a typical suspended, Victorian floor. Original floorboards, with a ca. 1m suspension. However, the area where the damp is could be a more recent add on by the looks of it. it is only ca. 1m long, see photo attached. We lifted the floorboards already and could see that in this area (in contrast to the rest of the living room) the suspension was much shallower, getting shallower and shallower the closer you get towards the door leading to the garden where it is only ca. 10 to 15cm deep.

Attached Files:

5. handymansw

handymansw New Member

The garden wall is original so it goes into the house and this ads on has been, I assume build ontop of it I supposed, I am sending you another photo to understand. As the garden wall is original I would assume it would be slate under it.

Attached Files:

• o.jpg
      o.jpg
      File size:
      78.4 KB
      Views:
  6. handymansw

handymansw New Member

There are air bricks around the outside walls of the house (front, back and on the sides of the hall way and kitchen, which extends another 10 metres to the right of the living room, looking from the outside.) But where the damp is there aren't any air bricks, no.

7. handymansw

handymansw New Member

There are underfloor vents around the house but not at that particular ad on. Photo attached from what we got around the house.

Attached Files:

8. handymansw

handymansw New Member

Adding to my response just now: the closest air vent is in the kitchen which extends out to the right for ca. 10 metres (looking from the outside). At the back of the living room there is no vent at all so it might be good to have one. However, would a missing vent create such a localized area of damp?

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

10. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

It's the garden wall that causing the problem. Water is soaking through the wall from the brick coping detail and the wall itself.

I'd be looking to separate the garden wall from the rear elevation wall by taking out the ajoined section and inserting a vertical DPC or demolishing and putting a timber fence up.

11. roughberty

roughberty Member

If you were thinking of injecting a silicone DPC like Dryzone, etc, get your neighbour on board too, as the effects (like massive efflorescence) may be felt on both sides of the party wall. In fact a Party Wall Notice may be the best plan.

handymansw likes this.
  12. handymansw

handymansw New Member

I was also suspecting this could be the issue. This wall near the area near that connects to the house looks damp and weat at all times. I actually would like to keep a brick wall instead of wooden fence and I wondering if I can fix this without removing the wall. I assume keeping the wall would be less work. What are my chances to fix this without remove the wall?

13. handymansw

handymansw New Member

The neigbour is a bitt of a compleicated person. He told me he got a lot of damp inside this house including damp an this part of the house but he does not bother at all as he keeps painting inside house wall with damp proof painting. It is a friendly person but totaly lazy. 0% DIY skills and no intrest in house improvements. Very difficult person to convince about the importancy of this issue.

14. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Put a coping stone on top to help throw water off.

Dont expect the wall to dry out quickly though as the saturated brick will need to dry out.

Once the wall has dried out a bit I'd apply Sikagard 700 which is a breathable water repellent.

15. handymansw

handymansw New Member

Do you think I will ever be able to make this wall get dry enought to apply Silkgard 700 and fix the problem? I would imagine that when it is raining water will hit the wall from both sides. BMC2000 has proposed to separate the wall from the hear elevation I am wondering if this is necessary and how this can be archivable in order to keep the wall. Is there a general consensus what would be the more reasonable way to start. In general what is the likehood to have this type of issue sorted by applying Silkgard 700?

16. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Coping stone first.

17. handymansw

handymansw New Member

Thanks BMC200. Does the Coping stone needs to be left permanently on top of the wall after I have applied and treated the wall with Sikagard 700? I have seen now one house where the person has used a sort of a cheaper version of coping stone made what seems to be a resin type of material. Sorry and where i can buy Sikagard 700. I dont find online anywhere. Is there any cheaper equivalent. Saw an add now for £235 for 20 liters. dont know if that infor is correct

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016