GROUT CLEANING

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by 12benny, May 8, 2009.

1. 12benny

12benny New Member

some white grout cleaned with a strong solution of bleach and water and a toothbrush. Not a sparkling result but better. Three months later the grout has yellowed - suggestions please?

2. Saint Standalone

Saint Standalone New Member

Bleaching items only have a short tempory fix, after oxidization it will then yellow. I always remove grout or as much as possible and then re grout.

3. tic tic

tic tic New Member

as above scrape as much grout out as u can..re-grout then try spraying seal guard on the grout..most tile shop stock it..about £25-£30.....went to a job last week grout was yellow previous tiler tiled onto the wallpaper???

4. GKU

GKU New Member

:^O :^O - Wallpaper !!! :^O Amazing ain't it , its hard to beleive there are so MANY people like that out there , but you regularly hear of these crazy things happening don't ya :^O

5. 12benny

12benny New Member

thanks everyone for the advice and comments. The grout is cement hard in tight thin joints, so i guess no scraping out. i tried a little grouting "over" but it didn't work.
    What about the tile shop grout cleaners?

6. MRWONG006

MRWONG006 New Member

Get some fine sand paper not coloured & rub gently down the seam a few times.

7. Steve Yorks

Steve Yorks New Member

I do quite a lot of re-grouting. I use a Fein Multimaster with the diamond grit blade, and a steady hand!
    All these DIY grout cleaners are rubbish, I know, I've been to loads of re-grouting jobs where the owners have tried themselves, only to make a real mess of things, I then charge a bit extra to do the job properly and correct their mess.
    I've even tried BAL's own grout renovator 'micro-revive' I think they call it - rubbish, I ended up using the Fein.

8. MRWONG006

MRWONG006 New Member

Run some fine sand paper lightly on the grout lines not the colour type.

9. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

An excellent suggestion from steve as long as you have steady hand and alot patience

Regrout using a good quality grout with microban

Also the most important thing is routine cleaning regime

An extractor fan with an integral humidity stat so it can cut in and out as required should be fitted

10. 12benny

12benny New Member

thanks a lot guys - good advice.

11. billhicks

billhicks Member

Is sealguard any good then? Does it really prevent white grout discoloring?

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

No, but it is good for keeping Canadians at bay ;)

13. Steve Yorks

Steve Yorks New Member

:) keep those vicious seals at bay!

I've never seen it/tried it, I always use BAL Microban when using white grout, but give it a go if you want, can't do any harm.

14. billhicks

billhicks Member

Where are yorkshire are you based steve?

15. Steve Yorks

Steve Yorks New Member

Barnsley. Yourself?

16. pdatabi

pdatabi New Member

May be a bit late but av a look at this at tradesdirect if you need any advice on application ring and speak to Jason, this stuff is a epoxy resin based colourant sealer that soaks into the grout, acts as a waterproofer and protection against future mould probs. Judging by what you have said you may need a grout cleaner too.The product is made by Aquamix.

http://www.trades-direct.co.uk/modules/shop/view.asp?Prodcode=100127

Works really well!

17. eakers

eakers New Member

The best grout cleaner i have found is hg grout cleaner and hg wax and dirt remover.

[Edited by: admin]

18. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM!

19. pedroheredia672

pedroheredia672 New Member

There are specific grout cleaners but they are quite expensive because the tubes are so small, I think I was able to clean my surround in the bath once with the tube I

purchased, I didn't even get the floors.

Now I just use this:
    Instead of tile and grout cleaners I simply pour a small amount of Cascade Liquid Dishwasher Detergent all along the grout, and allow to sit for 30 minutes, then wipe

with a damp cloth, and poof nice and white!!

Hope this helps!

Message was edited by: Screwfix Peter

20. jason527

jason527 New Member

Well I used the steam cleaning method for cleaning the grouts because I think that is a good way, but didn't clean the grout like new. Does anyone used this method for cleaning the grout? If yes then please share your experience.

Message was edited by: Screwfix Peter