Guestimate of house extension South Yorkshire

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by greatunknown, Feb 26, 2017.

1. greatunknown

greatunknown New Member

Hello
    Are there any builders or people who have had extensions done and can give me a rough estimate for an extension please? I understand without drawings it will probably be near impossible without drawings but rough ideas will be welcomed.

I would be hugely appreciative of any guidance.

I have asked for architect drawings for a 8x2m side extension of my end terraced house. One half will be a shed, the other half a downstairs bathroom for my grandmother. In the loft / roof above will also be a room.

Guide is for build / plumbing and electrics etc - I will be providing windows, doors, bathroom suite etc.

Roof will be slate, outer-skin brick, inner block.

Footings will be required to be dug out.

Thanks again for any replies. I am in between Sheffield / Chesterfield area.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Is there a restriction on it being only 2m ? Because it wont cost a lot more to make it bigger

CGN likes this.
  3. greatunknown

greatunknown New Member

Unfortunately yes, that is the end of my land. But I have the length, Looking at rightmove, 4x2M for a bathroom is pretty big in my area and same again for shed / storage - or am I disillusion? 8x2 will be the internal dimensions. Sorry, should have said that. Thing is, I am desperate for storage for 3 kids bikes, lawnmower etc and also need a downstairs bathroom for when grandmother moves in.
    Cheers

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Needs to be wider unless 2m is internal dimensions...even then poss a bit tight, but obviously you have to work with what you've got.

Prob start thinking around 30k and go from there...so many variables!

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

It is the room you want to put on top may be restrictive. A bath / shower will fit in a 2m lenght

The big proportion of the cost is the room you want above the bathroom/store and having bricks and a slate roof. A simpler single story structure made to a different specification could be around £10k but going higher could more than double the cost.

6. greatunknown

greatunknown New Member

Thanks for all your replies. Please can you elaborate sospan how it could be around double? It will need a roof anyway, mine will be double pitched rising to the centre. No staircase (access through upstairs bedroom). 20-30k is more than I was expecting.
    Thanks again

7. greatunknown

greatunknown New Member

I have attached a photo which I found on the net, but this best resembles what I am after. I want my outer skin from real brick though. Cheers

Attached Files:

8. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Down south I would have thought £30k plus. So many variables: do you have trees nearby to force deep founds for instance?

9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The taller the structure the deeper the foundations and the stronger the walls have to be to support the extra weight. You then have to factor in having scaffolding instead of staging. However, if you want one like that then you will need scaffolding. Then there is a lot more effort to get all the materials from the ground up to the different levels. Humping materials all the way to the top of the scaffolding is not the easiest of jobs. Then of course there is all the extra materials for the additional height a floor and all the extra bits and pieces like plastering, skirting etc.

A single story could be £10k but adding another floor on top could be another £15k to £20k.

Whilst some architects are notoriously bad at costing things, I would go and see a few, tell them what your budget is and ask what you could get for your money. Remember as well that there is a ceiling to property values in a lot of areas and no matter what you spend it may not add much to the value of your home.

10. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Foundation depth is determined by ground conditions not load up to 3 stories unless you have really dire soil.

11. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I will be starting a side and rear single story extension here in may/june. I've already reached about 16K putting together price lists, that's everything from bricks to mini-digger hire, no labour costs apart from two brickies for two weeks. That's also only to plaster finish, I've still to add the kitchen and new appliances to that:eek:.