Gutter downpipe eaves offset. 92.5 deg or 112.5?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by homestead72, Oct 16, 2013.

1. homestead72

homestead72 New Member

Hi,

I have just installed new guttering on an extension and just about to fit the downpipes.  Is it OK to create the eaves offset using 92.5 bends rather than the more shallow 112.5 degree bends?  I think the sharper bend will look tidier but just wanted to know if it is OK to do this?

Thanks

Stuart

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

100% of time have seen two 112.5 being used in conjunction to create the 'swan neck' and required offset.

3. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

Use what you want the water will still flow downhill

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

It would still work

2 90's connected in conjunction is not good practice, there is a chance for debri to collect as the run is almost horizontal so potential for blockages.

2 45's allow an easier transition for movement of rainwater.

5. homestead72

homestead72 New Member

Thanks Jitender.  That makes good sense.

Cheers

Stuart

6. Youra

Youra New Member

Hi.

Would 45's also perhaps reduce the possibility of blockages in the swan-neck?

We have a terrible problem with blockages due to pine needles in a 68mm system with 112.5 degree offset bends - leaf guards are unlikely to work due to the size of the pine needles, which then stick together and form a plug due to slow water flow.

Any thoughts? I'm even considering fitting 80mm downpipes to reduce the risk.

Thanks,

Youra.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Increasing the pipe size will only move the problem to the drains, which could be even worse.
    Gutter guards aren't always the answer, they can get covered with leaves etc and allow rain to flow over the top of what is covering them.
    What I did for a person once(not the prettiest solution) was to put a second running outlet next to the existing one and towards the flow, run another pipe down and rejoin the existing pipe at a reachable height.
    Most water and debris would come down this pipe first, if it got blocked, water would go on the other outlet.
    The blocked pipe easily accessible can be cleared occasionally, and water will always flow.
    Turned out that since putting the extra pipe, hardly ever blocked after that!
    You could argue that the increase in area of two pipes is much the same as using a single larger pipe, but a 'dual channel' is better than a single larger one(and one large pipe blocked).

PS. 112.5 is normal angle

Mr. HandyAndy - Really