Guttering downpipe advise

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by A S Clark, Aug 8, 2017.

1. A S Clark

A S Clark New Member

Hello I'm new here and was hoping I could get some advice/ ideas

See photos for clarity!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Recently bought this house and am looking to replace the guttering, facias etc
    The problem I have is that currently one of the down pipes is diverted onto the flat kitchen roof, due to the previous owner building a conservatory and I presume covering the drain it led into.

I don't like this and want to do something else with the downpipe but not sure what. Ideally I'd like to get rid of it altogether and run the guttering flowing to the other downpipe at the other end, but the problem with that is that our neighbour shares the first downpipe, and if I got rid of it their water would have no where to go. The situation is reversed out the front and we feed into their downpipe. So I thought I could run it onto the conservatory roof? Or continue the diversion that's already there passed the flat roof and join it to the second downpipe at the hopper ( if thats what it's called? )

Does anyone have any other ideas? Had a couple of roofers take a look, one didn't like the idea of running it onto the conservatory as it's quite flat, but it does have a slight slope and has it's own guttering

2. The only things wrong with that downpipe is the colour and the sideways run. Ie - everything :)

I presume the connie's gutter runs in to a drain or soakaway - ie via that black pipe against the fence?

If so, what I would do is not run the water across that connie roof, but instead continue that currently-red downpipe down afurther couple of feet so's it's just slightly down past the connie rooftop, and then angle along the sloping eaves of the gutter where it'll be out of sight - there's plenty room there between the connie side and the boundary fence, so it could be run out of sight. Then join it in to the connie's own downpipe at the front.

(There must be something wrong with this idea 'cos it's too obvious... :oops:)

A S Clark and KIAB like this.
  3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

First, change it to plastic. If you were considering running it onto the conny roof, it looks like the conny outlet might go to a water-butt? Would you be happy taking half a houses water into that butt?
    If so, there is enough room to take the pipe straight down and run alongside the conny, and on into the butt.

A S Clark likes this.
  4. Mr. Handyandy

Sometimes the obvious is too easily overlooked!

And I'd like to know how it took me a minute to type my reply, but DA got there 9 minutes before mine, yet his wasn't there when I started!

5. A S Clark

A S Clark New Member

Yeah it does run into a soakaway, there's no actual gutter on the side of the conservatory, but I think I get what you mean, I'm a total novice to this stuff, so a sideways run I take it is a bad thing? Why's that?

And no it probably is totally obvious, but as I say I know nothing about this kind of thing, and the roofers that had a look didn't really give much advice

6. A S Clark

A S Clark New Member

When I say a soakaway I mean it runs into the flower bed which is filled with stones at that end

7. Mr. Handyandy

They weren't roofers then!

The pipe from the top comes straight down the side of the conny and across to the soakaway, all pipe, no gutter.

A S Clark likes this.
  8. A S Clark

A S Clark New Member

Cool I get what your saying, pretty simple really!

9. A S Clark

A S Clark New Member

Thanks guys, the advice is greatly appreciated

10. Ah...

That isn't a soakaway, I'm afraid, and it'll get completely overwhelmed when both your and your neighb's gutters are emptying on to it.

A soakaway is an underground hole - what? a minimum of a meter square? - filled with large rocks and stuff. It is designed to cope with a largish volume of water, and then release it slowly out through the ground.

Mind you, that ain't a large roof area even allowing for your neighb's part, so an idea might be to run the black pipe in to a couple of water butts first as MR Ha says and then to your 'soakaway'. That way you have a couple of reservoirs to hopefully handle the worst of heavy rain before wetting your beds.

Not ideal, tho'.

Any chance of having a proper soakaway dug?

11. If this doesn't work in practice - if you find that too much flooding is being caused to your flower bed - a way to halve the flow would be to move your gutter outlet to the other end where there's a hopper just around the corner, which means that only your neighb's gutter would now flow down that pipe.

Normally you'd then tell your neighb to sort out his own gutter flow, but it looks as tho' some of the rain coming down that side return part of your roof on the left ends up in 'his' gutter, so I guess that's why it's shared?

12. A S Clark

A S Clark New Member

I suppose it's an option, just means taking the decking up.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You would be surprise how much water will come off those roofs, a soakaway a better option, needs to 15 mtrs minimum from property if memory is correct, but I would prefer it further away, might need a larger soakaway depending how quick water soaks away due to soil conditions.

All covered in Building Regs H: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/in...ments/71/part_h_-_drainage_and_waste_disposal

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  14. How far does your garden go - in relation to that white picket fence?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could run downpipe over decking to a gully on front edge of deck, which then runs to a soakaway.

16. A S Clark

A S Clark New Member

I think I might do this
    Yeah I think I might do this anyway, just yo minimise the amount of water going down that pipe. I think it's just the way the house was built and has always been the way, when the neighbours have only just moved in so don't want to get off on a bad foot by taking away the downpipe

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Could run downpipe over decking to a gully on front edge of deck, which then runs to a soakaway, you might even to slide the down pipe under the decking (end with exsisting downpipe by fence) & connect up with the roof one into a gully.

18. A S Clark

A S Clark New Member

The garden goes back a long way, say 15 meters of decking followed by another 15 of lawn

19. A S Clark

A S Clark New Member

Under the decking is an old patio could I not just run the water onto that?

20. If a soakaway just ain't on the cards, then a contrived (but I think ok) method would be to run a new length of gutter near-horizontal at the level of the flet-topped 'porch'(?). It would likely have to be deepflow guttering, and the short downpipe would then feed in to that via a standard downpipe cranked end piece - to drive the flow along. Then an outlet at the far right end to feed in to that hopper. Unconventional, but should work.

Or else just redo the existing downpipe angled run in a matching-coloured plastic to suit whatever colour you paint the walls so it'll blend in better. But I would carry that pipe on to the corner and around in to the hopper - having it flow over the flat roof in that gutter length is just hellish!

Once the pipe is painted the exact same colour as the walls, you'll stop noticing it.

KIAB likes this.