Guttering - Vibration Noise when windy

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by mds1256, Mar 27, 2016.

1. mds1256

mds1256 Member

Hi

Any idea how I can fix this, when the wind is strong the guttering makes a noise - like a vibration but it echoes throughout the house.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on what causes this and a recommended fix?

Thanks

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You might need to fit more fixings to try to damp down the vibrations.

3. mds1256

mds1256 Member

To the guttering or the down pipe?

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

What ever is making the noise, I would guess it is the guttering.

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Could be the guttering, or the felt/dpc, or the soffit board.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Gutter brackets have a maximum spacing of 1metre apart, but this can be reduced with some types of guttering. Down pipe bracket spacing is around 2 metre between brackets.

Even if gutter brackets were further apart, I find it difficult to think the gutter is the cause of your noise.

7. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

It's the gutter. It vibrates in strong wind. I don't know, Try putting more brackets on it.

8. If you are sure it's the guttering - and very good chance it is - then it'll be as simple as adding a further clip in t'middle of whatever section is giving the bad vibes, as said above.

Sounds as tho' that section of guttering is just the right length to resonate with the wind flow and direction - like a reed in a wind instrument (tho' not so pleasant).

If you leave it without fixing, you could find that the resonations will build up to the point they'll shake your whole house down.

(Well, it happened to a suspension bridge, so you never know... :rolleyes: )

9. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Like wot 'e said ^^:)

10. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Quite common down here near the sea. Could be too few brackets, wrong brackets for gutter or the shape of the gutter - older square ones were quite prone to it as the wind passing over the tops would make it chatter.

11. mds1256

mds1256 Member

Thanks all :)

I have added a further bracket between each one already there. Hopefully that will sort it out.

Thanks again

12. Paul Sc

Paul Sc New Member

Hi mds1256
    Know this is an old thread now, but did the extra brackets sort the problem? we have the same issue with large square gutters and noise gets very bad.

Thanks

13. Reply All

Reply All New Member

Just had this happen with some strong winds at 4:30 AM right outside the bedroom window. Brackets are spaced about 1 to 1.5 meters apart. The support arms have some play where it clips into the outer edge of our seamless gutter. I ended up wedging some aluminum foil into the space between the support arm and the outside gutter edge. I also tried some pieces of thin foam padded sheets I had lying around (the kind used for wrapping delicate items for shipping). That seemed to take care of the chatter. Trying to think of a more permanent solution. Maybe construction adhesive where the support arm clips into the outer edge of the gutter, or some vinyl tubing to wedge in there.

14. David Munro

David Munro New Member

Consider installing aluminum guttering for your home. Aluminium gutters are known for their durability and ability to withstand various weather conditions, including strong winds.