Guys Any Issues?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Nov 22, 2014.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Afternoon lads. Another stupid question but here goes -

After building my extension I designed it to be a kitchen and wired accordingly - however it is now a dining room and I have remapped the cabling. On my 5 amp switched so's I have run a feed into light switch box which is in 1.5mm and this is broke at 6 Amps in CU. The feed to the 5 amp so's is in the light switch box - so to cut a long story short I have 1 x 1.5 going to one 5 amp so and a 1.0mm going to two other so's.

My question is is it ok to feed the 1.0mm so's with the 1.5mm feed?

So what I will have is the 1.5 dedicated feed from the cu which will via switch go into 1x 1.5 which feeds a single so, and 1x 1.0mm which feeds 2 x so's radial style.

In other words I have a 1.0mm being run of a 1.5 - is this ok lads? bearing in mind that the breaker is a 6 amp one.

Its not ideal and something I normally would not do, but due to the wiring remap its the only way I can do it to keep a dedicated lot of 3 so's If its not allowed I can redesign so that the 1.0mm to two of the 5amp so's can run off off main light circuit which is in 1.0mm but I don't really want to do this. All cables are in dual gang box so I can juggle in there if need be.

Thanks lads.

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I think what you are saying, JP, is essentially that you have a 6A radial circuit feeding 5A socket outlets. Then use of 1.5mm2 and 1.0mm2 as you describe is okay. Since you are limiting the circuit to 6A it is no different to a lighting circuit.

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

JP, as UP said it's fine, 1.00mm t/e is rated up to 14 amps so if on a 6 amp mcb no problem at all mate.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Un and Sen - thanks very much indeed and my apologies for the rather silly post, but I have never had cause to cable up that way - I am now fully confident, and also have learnt something which is gold dust. Greatly appreciated.