Hacking off internal plaster

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by koolpc, May 15, 2016.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Guys, we are buying a property that needs all the internal plaster work hacked off!!

I am going to hack off myself and get a plasterer to plaster. Couple of questions:

I need a new drill / driver. What what be the best to get to use for drill / driver and hacking off? Is there such a tool?

Secondly, when it comes to re plastering, what is the best procedure? Cement, then plaster? or paster board direct onto brickwork and then plaster on top?

I will be replacing the ceiling too.

Cheers

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Sds drill with roto stop and a tile remover chisel will be ideal...it's what I use anyway. Sometimes it comes off easily in sheets other times it takes a bit more work. Concentrate on one room at a time and clear up as you do say one wall. Gets dusty very quickly.

You'll get varying reports on the best way to replaster, but dot and dabbed plaster board is certainly the quickest and easiest to get back to normal, just leaving a quick skim to finish it off.

3. KBJ

KBJ Active Member

Depends when the house was built. If it's pre-WW2 there are some things you need to be aware of!

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

1930's Bungalow.

Need a decent tool to hack off. Any links would be great. I need a new drill / driver anyway so maybe a good set would be ideal?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Budget.

Looking at mains sds drill/ breaker & cordless 18v for drill driver.

For the cordless this twin pack is hard to beat, a combi drill & a impact driver.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc...-ion-cordless-combi-drill-impact-driver/7017j

Probably better to hire a sds breaker for a week, would work out cheaper, I know peeps who have bought sds drill for a job, used once,& two years later it's sat unused in the shed.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  6. KBJ

KBJ Active Member

If it's a 30s bungalow, it will have been built with lime mortar. Under no circumstances should you cover the wall with cement, inside or out. I spend a lot of my time correcting the problems that this causes and Banks and Building Society Surveyors are starting to become concerned where the fabric of the building has been compromised. Lime needs to breathe and it will stop moisture evaporating from the wall. If you want to be a purist, you can use lime plaster, but Gypsum will do the job inside. Go easy with the power tools as the low-fired bricks are easily damaged and expensive to replace.

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

So if not using cement on the inside what to put on the bare brick walls before plastering? Are they always lime mortar built? How would i tell?

8. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Thing is, one can buy a combi drill / hammer / chisel unit quite cheaply?

I will be wanting a separate Driver though

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

10. KBJ

KBJ Active Member

In the 30s

They will be lime. Portland/Gypsum wasn't generally in use until after WW2. You can lime plaster directly onto brick, or dry-line it and plaster - provided the wall is free of damp.

FatHands likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Had mine a few years now and never misses a beat. It even coped (just about) with a 125mm core drill the other day!

13. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Is that dot and dab plaster board and the plaster on top?

14. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yes.

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The one Kiab mentioned will do the job well. If you're doing the donkey work to save money and doing a lot of other stuff, then invest and get yourself an 18v twin pack...combi drill and impact driver. Sds drill should be 1st purchase when buying power tools as it's a great work horse.

17. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Wouldn't a mains powered SDS drill be better though?

18. KBJ

KBJ Active Member

That's what I use. Good gear.

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

The one I linked to is mains powered...check back.

20. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

A combi drill is a cordless drill.