hairline crack in shower tray

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by gettin there, Apr 25, 2017.

1. gettin there

gettin there New Member

Hello

I've dropped my shower gel and have a small hairline crack in the shower tray which is letting water through. Does anyone know if there is anything I can put on it to seal it please?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

What is the tray made from?

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Can only be plastic ****, if it's been broken by a bottle of shower gel!!!

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

True...probably aged plastic!

5. gettin there

gettin there New Member

Yes it is plastic, only about 5 years old so not especially aged.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Google...'how to repair a cracked shower tray'.

7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Ill tell you the only way to repair a cracked shower tray.

Take it out and put a new one in. :eek:

Once there cracked there is no fix for these things, go for a resin tray this time.

nigel willson likes this.
  8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

As above, you know it makes sense

9. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

If replacing, think about how to possibly do it without totally destroying shower area. Is your shower flush to floor or on a riser? If it's on a riser you have a good chance of getting a new one in without retiling. I've done it. Cut/break up the old tray to remove it in pieces. This makes it possible to cut away all the old silicon. Hopefully you can get a new tray in by sliding in to position. Some trays come with screw-up riser legs ( e.g. justtrays) as an option. If you use these you can slide a new tray in and jack it up under the existing tiles. Maybe you have to remove the bottom tile row and refix. It's a fiddly job but can be done. Hopefully the waste is in an accessible location to re-attach.

10. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

You need to find your local boat wholesalers, take with you a white colour match piece of paper or card that's the same colour as your tray, then buy a small 1 litre of fibre glass resin, this will come with the hardener, then buy the white ointment,

With a fine grinding disc cut into the crack, mix the resin with hardener and pigment and fill the hole, scrape off quick with a old cash card, when dry buff off with sand paper, then apply again with cash card until a smooth finish