Hallogen Spotlights Cut Out

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Neil32, Jul 26, 2006.

1. Neil32

Neil32 New Member

A couple of months ago I bought my house in the kitchen & breakfast room are hallogen spotlights. When the lights have been on for a while they cut out, they do not trip the circut, after a while they come back on. In the kitchen only half of them cut out. has any one got a clue what is happening here??? Cheers

2. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

I presume this is a low voltage setup?

3. X

X New Member

Transformer overloaded and sulking maybe

4. Neil32

Neil32 New Member

I dont know, I think its mains voltage

5. X

X New Member

I don't know either..:D

6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

I dont know, I think its mains voltage <

Remove a bulb and have a look!!!

7. notannoyedsolenoid

notannoyedsolenoid New Member

Sounds like LV lamps, if half of them in the kitchen are cutting out, then there will probably be 2 transformers. Remove the lamps that are turning off and you should find a transformer close to one of them, it's either overloaded or goosed.
    Same in the breakfast room if your having the same problem.

8. Neil32

Neil32 New Member

Have had a look and cant see any transformers close to the spots however they are set in an extension with a flat roof so can only see insulation. The bulbs are 12v ranging in wattage from 20w to 60w.

9. spike

spike Guest

12v indicates Elv therefore a transformer or two is present within the circuit, usually as previously suggested within a foot of one of the lights, you may need to remove all lights to find it, perhaps lift some of the insulation if possible it'll be there somewhere.

10. Neil32

Neil32 New Member

have removed the spots. not enough room between celing & base of roofing to remove any insulation. Think I have found the problem though one of the spots still had the label on as follows: ( 0.5m max 12v 20w G5.35.

11. britishblue

britishblue New Member

Sounds like the transformer(s) is/are overheating, especially as in a flat roof with insulation. Could be that the transformer is not rated for the wattage of lamps (bulbs) that are installed, or lack of ventilation or faulty transformer. It's almost definitely transformer related.

BB

12. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

not enough room between celing & base of roofing to remove any insulation<

It's not surprising how many people are having their 'flat roofs' converted to a real roof, good job no more can be built!

13. PiD

PiD New Member

You could be overloading the transformer.

Really need to find out:

1. The rating of your transformer
    2. How many fittings are on the transformer/each terminal of the transformer

Overheating or a generally borked transformer does seem the likeliest culprit though.

14. PimperneltheScarlet

PimperneltheScarlet New Member

Are they dimmable? Could be a faulty dimmer.

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

At the end of the day the thermal trip is doing its job and switching the lights on and off. As the chap said half of the lights in the kitchen are affected. Three questions..

1..is the transformer overloaded as already suggested way back thus causing the trip situation.Half of the lights how many is that?..2/3/4 etc.

2..insulation covering ****** and also possible void implications?

3..a faulty ******?