Hammer arrestor and building regs

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Chris L, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Chris L

Chris L New Member

Afternoon all.

We've been getting some quotes to replace an ancient heat only boiler with a combi in our 1 bed flat.

We've been told by two of the bidders for the job that we have to have a hammer arrestor installed (as part of building/water regs) as we have a water meter, while the other two have said that they've never heard of this.

Who is right? I don't want to pay out for something I don't need, but if I do need one, it's a worry that two of the bidders didn't know this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you'll have to check with your local BCO, regs vary and are often changed, o_O

3. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Check with your water supplier. They will know.

4. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Nothing to do do with building regs as far as I know.

But some boiler manufacturers specify that arresters are fitted in the MI's. Typically Worcester, Ideal and others, they bury the info deep inside their instructions and can get the manufacturer out of a warranty call "as the boiler wasn't installed to MI". Call me cynical if you wish....!

I always fit one, cost about £20 from my merchants so not a lot extra.

The connection with water meters is that they now fit check valves inside the meters. In the past the water could expand a bit back into the main, now it cannot, so without the mini expansion vessel you could easily build up very high pressures inside the water system in your house, especially with a combi.

Sounds like the bidders who sort of know about this could be the people for your job.

5. Chris L

Chris L New Member

Thanks for the prompt replies and advice everyone.