Hanging Kitchen Wall Units

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Dereekoo, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

I am going to have a kitchen extension built and on the plans I drew I specced the walls to be 13m plaster finish. The builders all seem to want to go with plasterboard dot and dab and my concern here is whether their will be an issue in hanging wall units to plaster board with a 10 -30mm gap behind before solid blockwork. Anyone give me the benefit of their experience and am I worrying needlessly, thanks

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

as long as someone fits some sturdy battens, exactly where you need them behind the PB, before they do their works then there should be not problem at all hanging the units

3. If you intend to hang the wall units on the plasterboard itself, then - yes - you should worry.

There are many solutions to this common problem, though, and since you are at the planning stage, you can sort them in advance.

If you know pretty much where the units are going, the builders can include a horizontal timber rail to catch where the top wall unit brackets will fall - so they need to liaise with the chippy if he ain't already one of the team.

Even if the boards are up, there are simply solutions; you can cut a slot for a timber rail and screw it to the block wall behind, or you can fit long lengths of metal wall unit rails to the p'board but then sink spacers into the p'board and gap to pack it out so they end up flush with the p'board.

Who will be doing the work? A builder who will organise the different trades? Or will you be fitting the kitchen yourself afterwards?

If the former, they should sort it all. If the latter, you may need to plan a bit more and discuss it with them.

But don't hang the units on the actual p'board :eek:

4. Dereekoo

Dereekoo Member

Thanks for replies. Building not started yet so can incorporate suggested methods. Kitchen fitters will come in after build so just need to make sure support rails in right location.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Another solution with dot n dabbed walls is to ask the plasterer to run a solid line of dab at the level where the units brackets will be fixed to the wall. Also ask him to do the same at the level where the base units will be fixed to the wall. ;);)

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I would get it fully plastered. Dot and dab is a sod to fit to. The board always seems to end up with high points and out of level.
    If it has to be dot and dab stress that you want it level, flat and only 10mm off wall.
    As per joiner john, solid horizontal line at fixing level.