Hanging panels . . . ensure flatness

Discussion in 'Screwfix' started by joz, Apr 5, 2017.

1. joz

joz New Member

Firstly, hello and thanks for reading my thread.

I am currently scoping a project where I am building some hanging wall panels in my garage/office. They will be 3/4 inch cabinet grade plywood left over from a project my brother-in-law never got off the ground.

Three of the hanging wall panels will be faced with a 4x8 sheet of 24 gauge steel. After that the panel will be primed and then painted with dry erase paint. They will hang from a barn door rail system.

My goal is to make the panels so that they hang as flat as possible. This way I can move the panels so they form up to a 12x8 magnetic dry erase board for both drawing, hanging schematics, and even used as a projection screen for plans I don't want to print out. I have some very strong neodymium magnets to mount to each board so that they will connect to each other and hold in place.

What is the best way to ensure these hang flat. My initial thought was to mount each one on a 2x4 frame. The plywood has little if any detectable warp at the moment but I know with humidity that could easily change.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Jerry

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would go with an angle iron frame with central bracing. You can either bond or screw the boards to the frame.

A steel fabricator will be able to make these for you fairly easily and mount the door rollers and drill any holes you want to fix the ply

3. joz

joz New Member

Would you suggest one that conforms to the edge dimensions of the plywood, or would it be ok to mount it an inch or so inside the dimensions of the frame?

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Depends on the look you want and how you want. You could make it that the ply sits in the frame and makes a border which could be a nice feature. However, when you fit the magnets you will get a gap when you push them together.

Alternatively, you could set the angle iron on the back of the ply inset from the edge the depth of the magnets, so when you push them together the magnets join the frames together. This will mean you get a nice contiguous surface on the front.

Interesting project