Hanging Polystyrene insulating rolls

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by faolteam, Nov 27, 2016.

1. faolteam

faolteam New Member

Hi

i hung 5 rolls of Warmaline polystyrene next week.

.one of the walls has bad condensation anyway the main wall which i used Solvite it seems to be fine but the prob was the small wall i had issues the wallpaper paste was oozing out and dripping on the floor so in a panic i removed this from the wall i used a cloth to remove the paste then i removed it from the wall ,

i waited a day and then i used the Warmaline adhesive in fairness it may have been 3-4 years old but only half used

Well i thought it was going fine but then the 2nd day there was also a bit of an ooze of it coming out not as bad as the solvite , the polysterene was moving a bit

Am i wasting my time now, should i start from scratch again or can i use the old polysterene again if i clean it up?

any advice

my idea is on one of the walls i want to put wall paper on it the one that i have the solvite on that seems ok ouch,
    Any advice much appreciated.
    im a very poor Diy

2. faolteam

faolteam New Member

that should be last week

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It is important you use the correct adhesive for Warmaline, the procedure is to size the walls to be covered with a thinned down coat of the Warmaline paste and let dry overnight, then paste the wall and hang the Warmaline vertically when this has dried after 2 to 3 days you then cross line with a quality 1200 grade lining paper, (if you do not cross line the Warmaline it moves and will open up every butt joint in the final wallpaper). After the cross lining paper has fully dried you can hang the chosen finishing paper. Also refer to the Warmaline instructions that came with the rolls. Solvit isn't the correct adhesive to have used as it will eventually fail.

4. faolteam

faolteam New Member

Hi there so should i start from scratch again ?

Hi thanks for reply im using actually not Warmaline its, RED LABEL INSULATING LINING PAPER https://www.coveryourwall.co.uk/insulating-lining-paper.html,

should i seal the wall first with uni bond 5 parts water to 1 part uni and let dry overnight ?

i had started this already and encountered problems and i have noticed some parts have dried and some the polysterene is coming away from wall should i start all over again or can i just take the insulating paper off clean the wall and back of paper and do the uni bond then the thermal adhesive if you can recommend one ?

5. faolteam

faolteam New Member

also when you cross line with a quality lining paper 1200 what adhesive should I use then ?

QUOTE="faolteam, post: 1463394, member: 165127"]Hi there so should i start from scratch again ?

Hi thanks for reply im using actually not Warmaline its, RED LABEL INSULATING LINING PAPER https://www.coveryourwall.co.uk/insulating-lining-paper.html,

should i seal the wall first with uni bond 5 parts water to 1 part uni and let dry overnight ?

i had started this already and encountered problems and i have noticed some parts have dried and some the polysterene is coming away from wall should i start all over again or can i just take the insulating paper off clean the wall and back of paper and do the uni bond then the thermal adhesive if you can recommend one ?[/QUOTE]

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

It's the same as Warmaline, I would start again following the manufacturers instructions fully, a ready mixed adhesive would be best, you can PVA the wall or use a thinned down coat of the ready mixed adhesive but leave to fully dry. Revert to Solvite type wallpaper paste for the lining paper and final wallpaper.

7. faolteam

faolteam New Member

And the PVA do I dilute it the wall I'm using has a lining on it already from years ago and I did not want to start taking that off so I put the insulating over it

8. Your walls already have lining paper on it?

I wonder if what happened is that your fresh application of Solvite - presumably applied quite thick - reactivated this liner and that's wot's coming orf?

Anyhoo, that insulating paper seems well priced (useful to know it exists :)) so really you should have invested in their recommended adhesive - one tub should do all yer 5 rolls.

If the instructions don't mention applying the adhesive to existing lining paper, then contact the manufacturers to confirm procedure.

I'd personally keep both PVA and Solvite well away from this process - until you wish to cross-line as Astra says. And then still keep the PVA away... :)

9. faolteam

faolteam New Member

When u say lining paper do u mean the thermal insulating polystyrene

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No, just off the shelf lining paper not the polystyrene. You have to cross line over the polystyrene as all the gaps will open up if you fail to do this, they will be found in the hanging instructions included in the packaging.

11. faolteam

faolteam New Member

Can I paste over the lining paper

12. faolteam

faolteam New Member

The old won on wall

13. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Yes

14. faolteam

faolteam New Member

Hi again folks I'm trying to get an adhesive I seem to have a choice if 2 one is all purpose wall covering adhesive and one is multi purpose coving and tiling adhesive home base which should I get

15. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Have you read the instructions?
    Clue...is the polystyrene a tile or coving or is it a wall covering!

16. faolteam

faolteam New Member

Tile like a roll

17. Don't they make their own adhesive which is recommended for this product?

And didn't you chust try and get away with using paste to not very good effect...?

18. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Contact Checkatrade as I've going to slit my throat!

19. faolteam

faolteam New Member

i cant get there adhesive the one i have says its a technically advanced adhesive suitable for all types of wall coverings including vinyl blown vinyl heavily embossed washables and paste the wall , wall coverings

20. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

That's fine use it!

faolteam likes this.