Hardboard not good enough for vinyl floor?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Jonesy127, Apr 16, 2016.

1. Jonesy127

Jonesy127 New Member

Wanting to have vinyl floor on our 3m x 3m kitchen suspended timber floor.

The original floorboards were not bad, but draughty, so we decided to put 3mm hardboard down first. The entire floor has been hardboarded, prior to kitchen units fitted on top.

A local carpet/vinyl floor shop has told us the hardboard was a mistake; they say it is "not structurally strong" enough for vinyl floor, in a kitchen. They say we should take up hardboard (cutting up to kitchen unit legs), fit 6mm ply (at least), then have vinyl flooring fitted.

Is this correct?

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

Yes.

3. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I've had no problem with hardboard on my kitchen floor, was laid by myself 30 years ago, but the vinyl's been changed 3 times. It's your kitchen so have what you want and go to another supplier for the vinyl.

Dampen the hard board and let dry prior to laying smooth side down.

4. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I see plenty where the cupping of the floorboards shows through to the vinyl when hardboard is used. Then I see plenty that don't. How flat are your floorboards, are they T&G?

If it was me I would use 6mm ply as it will be down a long time - longer than the vinyl I would think.

wiggy likes this.
  5. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

3mm bit thin, hardboard in a potentially wet area, not best practice

6. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I'm just DIY, not trade, and I did the same as you, (hardboard), in my bathroom, then vinyl on top 18 years ago. The vinyl is still fine, in terms of it overall condition, and there are no plans to replace it anytime soon... However, the surface is definitely not as flat as it once was; the slight variation in the underlying floorboards having transmitted through the hardboard.

If I was doing it again I'd go the thicker ply route. As previously suggested, if your underlying floorboards are really flat and level you might be OK with the hardboard, but for the small extra cost it's a no-brainer for me.

Regards,

Cando

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Should the ply be screwed down?

If so, how often? Just on the edges? or on a 6" (150mm) grid? a 12" (300mm) grid? along centre of each floor board? along edges of boards? Which way?

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I screw down ply With a 6x6" grid, and 4" around the edges.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Wouldn't it be quicker and cheaper to use self levelling?

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

On a wooden floor. ????

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It worked on my toilet and bathroom.
    I'm not claiming any special knowledge here but surely if you screw 6mm ply down every 150mm or 100mm it is going to follow the floor anyway, and then you have all the screw heads unless you countersink...

12. Matthew Rees

Matthew Rees New Member

I would use 4mm or 6mm ply, not very expensive, nearly the same as hardboard. You could use small ring shank nail 20mm and space the nails about 8" / 200mm apart.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Ply is around 3 times the price of hardboard and if you use nails the head will show.

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Pozi screws, easily pull below the surface and when I've used ring shank nails, they've never showed through the vinyl.

15. Jonesy127

Jonesy127 New Member

Thanks for the comments everyone. It looks like I'm going to be taking up the hardboard and replacing with ply, then!