Hardwoods

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Eric Buckland, Jul 13, 2015.

1. Eric Buckland

Eric Buckland New Member

I have been a dedicated amateur woodworker for the last 20 years. I used to buy most of my hardwood timber from John Boddies in Boroughbridge. Since it closed down I have been left high and dry And am finding it next to impossible to buy small quantities of exotic hardwoods in Yorkshire. Does anyone know of a supplier?

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Axminster used to, don't know if they still do.

FatHands likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Yandles.

http://www.yandles.co.uk/

They have a very good timber mill & stock many types of hard woods, plus wood turning blanks.

4. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

wow! i used to go there! way back, with a old furniture maker guy

5. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

How small quantities?? Service timber at selby keep all sorts in stock if not ask your local joinery shop I often raid the waste bin for free off cuts at my local place and larger stuff by the foot it's cheap as chips and normally free delivery if I buy anything long :)

6. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Eric, I'm thinking woodturner. If you want good pieces try Snainton Woodcraft Supplies. Got all the British hardwoods and some Tropical as well. Good showrooml but take plenty of money. Go in your boots, the yard needs a good scrape.

7. gpierce

gpierce Active Member

Have you had a look on eBay? Not quite the local supplier unfortunately but there are a couple of wood working shops that sell bundles of offcuts of various hardwood, I find it useful for picking up odds and ends of different hardwood without spending a fortune. Might not be exactly what you need, but still has it's uses.

8. DNR Plumbing

DNR Plumbing Active Member

Reclamation yards can turn up some good finds especially if you only want little bits