Have I been conned by cowboys?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Chris_h, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Chris_h

Chris_h New Member

Hello All

3 months ago I had my garage roof repaired to fix the lead flashing, hip tiles and a few other things.

I have noticed the mortar between the lead flashing and brick its crumbling and looks like a dogs ****

Please see pictures of **** work.

I have asked the roofer why, and he says don't worry, its only the mortar and not the lead flashing composite...

I sent him a picture of the lead flashing on my conservatory (also see attached) to show him what I am expecting. Yet to hear back from him.

I feel silly as I paid a lot of money to have this roof fixed, and I am looking at doing it AGAIN before long! IS my lead flashing salvageable? not all of it is crumbling, but it was the same mortar mix so it is only a matter of time! IMG_1929.JPG IMG_1930.JPG

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Just get them back to repoint it, it's not the end of the world. No damp patches inside I take it?

3. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

The flashing on your conservatory isn't right by any means, looks ok but its mastic not mortar.

The other does need re-doing though, lets hope it better then the mess done on the brick joint above it.

4. They need to redo it - no question.

Otherwise it's a slot cut in to your brickwork mortar line which will allow water a goodly inch or so in there. Not an immediate catastrophe, but not good.

I have to say, there's a lot to be said from using the proper mastic for these fills over mortar.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I can't see any wedging, lead wedges (old fashion today, peeps seem to use hall clips now) driven in, & lead flashing tucked in by 25mm.

Astramax likes this.
  6. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Yes proper lead mastic, not that clear stuff used on the conservatory lead.

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk...Sp-apY7vqNq-IePG8ExyTB-f7uVovsIcaAtFPEALw_wcB