Having my shower retiled....

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by KarlM, Nov 12, 2016.

1. KarlM

KarlM New Member

Hi all,

I'm having my shower retiled. It's a contractor brought in by the house developer after some work went wrong and left some damage. The result is a total strip out and retile.

The story so far: The contractor put the (standard) plasterboard in and left it to be tiled. I wasn't happy with this and called their boss who then got them to tank it and seal everything up. Apparently it is now ready for tiling. I have enclosed some pictures to get a second opinion. Their boss hasn't seen the work first hand and being a subby to a developer I can understand they are doing this work to a budget but I want to ensure this is done properly and wont end up with costly repairs down the line.

Can some more experienced people give their opinions either way please.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Not the neatest of jobs, but its all being tiled over, right? In which case its the tiling that needs to be up to spec as its the tiles keeping water from getting to the plasterboard.

koolpc likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I would have used a tilebacker board like Glasroc H TILEBACKER, Knauf Aquapanel or similar.

Joe95 and SWBUILDERS like this.
  4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

or marine ply?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

No.

Cementitious backer board is far superior to ply.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Not the best of jobs but like above, it is being tiled and that has to be done right!

7. TheMorg

TheMorg Active Member

Its ****, the tanking should have no gaps or holes. The whole point is to waterproof the walls (because tiles and grout are never fully waterproof) so any water that gets behind it runs into the tray, and doesn't damage the walls.

A decent tanking kit costs as little as £30, and comes with rubber matting for corners and the joint between walls and tray. If they've had to remove the existing plasterboard there's no excuse for not using a cement board either.

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Should use a decent 'bagged' adhesive too.