heat gun help

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by tina lucinda lane, Feb 1, 2017.

1. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

looking to get a heat gun for use with heat shink tubeing and shinking back the rought ends of nylon covered high heat flex (used for clothes irons etc) as got to use a 400watt craft 1 for just that kind of job the other day and thought wow this much easier than a lighter or gas solder iron open heat flame (do have a multi temp electric solder iron but dont want melted nylon all over it) any recomended models? (will likely be buying off e-bay or amazon)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

4. tina lucinda lane

mostly diy level of use so dnt need a very powerful model (as the gas solder iron has a multi flame adapter for things like paint striping have used it for that)

5. tina lucinda lane

hence thought of craft size models

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

There are different types of heat gun and the Bosch ones that KIAB initially linked to are not really the right type for heat shrink tubing and the like, they are predominantly for paint stripping and similar.

You should be looking for something like a Copper/Weller 6966C - only 250W but that is adequate and it will have a set of deflector nozzles so that you heat the tube from all directions at once.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WELLER-6966C-Heat-Gun-Brand-New-/321359602227 shows one - click on the middle picture to see the deflectors. There are UK suppliers of 230v versions.

8. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I have one of those Iroda heat guns, they are cheaper at cpc farnell though I think, mine was about a tenner.

9. tina lucinda lane

as i said the one i used was a 400watt model so was thinking around that ball park power but yea that sound a gud price

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

When I worked in electronic assembly they had Steinel heat guns, think they are bit pricey but very good.

11. philthespark

KIAB likes this.
  12. philthespark

13. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

14. tina lucinda lane

for those i use the gas solder iron

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Hairdryer :D

16. tina lucinda lane

good for heatshirnk not hot enough for shrinking nylon cable covers

CGN likes this.
  17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Only DIY so don't use miles of heat shrink but when I do, I've got an electric heat gun from Wickes, must be 20 years old and used countless times for paint stripping

Low heat is perfect for heat shrink, have got a couple of shaped nozles for stripping paint from window frames but use without and just waggle the gun around a bit

Might not be good for working on sensitive electronic circuits where overspill of heat may damage fragile components. Fine on T&E though, as recently used over crimps

18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Have often used an old hair dryer for heat shrink...nice and controllable :)

19. tina lucinda lane

its ok with heat shrink but no use on iron flex (atm i flame heat the nylon back where cut) as i said used the heat gun worked a treat and thought wish i had one long ago