Heated Towel Rail

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Pollowick, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Scratching my head on this one.

Dual fuel heated towel rail - connected to the central heating and also with an element for summer use.

It is well outside Zone 2 in the bathroom. However, I don't really like having any form of switch in the room (just personal preference). The connection will be to a Connection unit in the wall and from there to a suitable Fused, Switched Connection unit located outside.

I could fit the FSCU on the other side of the wall, on the landing, or in an adjacent room which would be my preference. It would be adjacent to the switches used to supply, central heating, shower pump, immersion heater (unused) and there is already a spare position.

Is there any reason why it could not be at that location?

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Outside the zones, in another room is fine.
    The circuit you are feeding from must be RCD-protected, or use an RCD fused connection unit..

I wouldn't even have a connection unit in the bathroom. Hopefully the element lead is long enough to reach the site of your FCU?

KIAB likes this.
  3. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I know all about the need for my RCDs. This circuit is RCD protected - I also have numerous that are on RCBOs too.

The lead is not long enough to reach the planned FSCU so I will need to extend it - probably using a connection unit (not fused or switched) or a blank face plate and crimped/heat-shrink covered connections.

I could move the actual connections to outside the room and fit a flat blanking plate and then to the FSCU.

I am just trying to work out what is legitimate especially with the switch a little way away.

4. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Just label the fcu as towel rail in the prefered position.

KIAB likes this.