Heating but no hot water.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Plumbing_Noob, Jan 25, 2015.

1. Plumbing_Noob

Plumbing_Noob New Member

Hello All,

Now you have probably heard this before but I'm having trouble with my hot water (or lack of it). I have a indirect hot water cylinder 900mm by 450mm. It doesn't have an emersion heater. The cold water feed from the tank is fine but the coil doesn't seem to be heating the water anymore. The flow from the boiler is very hot but the return is cold. The central heating is working fine, I'm just not getting any hot water. There is also a Drayton valve attached, which I'm assuming is to control the temperature of the water. It's turned up to the max, but I have tried it on different settings & it doesn't make a difference. The hot water pressure is also uneffected, it comes out the taps as normal but it's freezing cold.

If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Plumbing_Noob.

2. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Do you really expect the OP to pay for someone to fly from New Jersey to the UK to fix their boiler?

Plumbing_Noob likes this.
  3. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Question after the pump is there either a three port valve or two, two port valves, One of them going into the cylinder top pipe in the middle?
    Is the pipe hot before and after the valve, on the three port bottom pipe and pipe to cylinder?
    If the answer is yes, then is there a gate valve on the return, coming out of the cylinder at the bottom? If yes has this been turned off for any reason.
    If the answer to the first question is no then your valve has failed and will need to be replaced. You may be lucky and be able to open it manually as a tempoary fix by using the lever on the side of the valve, push it into the open position and lock it in place.

4. Albertross boy

Albertross boy New Member

I'm guessing that Drayton valve looks like a thermostatic radiator valve
    If so sounds like this has failed
    Think their called a tap stat

5. Plumbing_Noob

Plumbing_Noob New Member

Thanks for the replies people. I ended up paying some plumbers to come & change my cylinder & also put a shower pump in. £750 all in.

Cheers lads.